Why become a member? ×

HB Mighty-15TH Valve power.

Ralf1e

Good morning. After days of procrastination about it I have finally got around to having a little experimental play with a Harley Benton Mighty-15TH guitar amp put through a 15" bass cab.

For smallish space playing in my room at home this little 15w valve amp sounds rather lovely.

Plenty of tone to choose from and that nice valve warmth.

It has a choice of 7w or 15w power settings and also a send return circuit on the rear panel.

Any idea as to if you can successfully D I this to a FOH desk using the send output while having it as a monitor using a modest cab or speaker emulator with in ear fold back?

I am going to try it with 10's later and may also try with a softer ECC82 valve option. Have some JJ's sat in front of me I bought to experiment with a tube screamer.

Anyone else tried out these little valve jobs for practice or studio use

Not just HB there are others about like Red Sub etc I have one of those as well I will give a whirl as time permitsIMG_0026.thumb.JPG.f47b8842382576da24b10239f9902629.JPG

Edited by Ralf1e
edit

• Ralf1e changed the title to HB Mighty-15TH Valve power.
5 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

15W doesn't go too far when using a bass in this day and age. That said if it functions well for what you are using it for then enjoy!! :D

It goes far enough to be too loud in a house even switched over to 7 watts.

The valve amp tone and response was the reason to try it out. I was busy yesterday visiting The Greek and Thea his delightfull attention seeking dog where I was given coffee, conversation and an empty cab from him and cuddles and a bath from her but I will find out today if the send and return is pre or post eq section. If it is post then it can be used like a valve driven preamp into the DI of FOH PA.

For me valve tone, response and sustain are just so nice to play. I've never used a tranny amp that can get close to that feel.

I don't know if it can work used in that way but I aim to find out.😀

• Sad 1

Are fyou fidning it to be usable as a practice amp?

Could i run it into a 1x12 at a low volume and get that tube warmth and response?

Im definitely interested,  but wondering if i ahould save the cash towards something a bit more high end.

Any issues with it being a gutar amp? I suppose it doesnt make too much difference into a bass cab?

Edited by lidl e

48 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Could i run it into a 1x12 at a low volume and get that tube warmth and response?

Im definitely interested,  but wondering if i ahould save the cash towards something a bit more high end.

Any issues with it being a gutar amp? I suppose it doesnt make too much difference into a bass cab?

I have been using it as a practice amp this week running it into a 15" Wharfdale bass cab. It sounds good and has that valve warmth.

I will try it with 210's later.

Even using it at only 7 watts instead of the full 15 watts is loud enough to practice alongside a guitar plugged into a Conford Harlequin without either being turned up a great deal

I ran it at half gain and half volume using 7 watts and with the boost switch turned off.

It is clear but warm without being distorted quite a way beyond that.

Will try to do more testing during this week when the neighbors are not home.

Yes it can be that loud.

For guitar I previously ran it through a pair of SubZero tens each of which has a Celestion TEN30 in it. That sounds pretty good as well.

Interesting you mention Guitar amps for bass.

When I was in my teens (54 years ago) I recall bass players favouring 100 watt Marshall lead amps over 100 watt Marshall bass amps because they gave a clearer sound with more punch.

Hope that all helps.

Edited by Ralf1e
added detail

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/02/2023 at 13:15, lidl e said:

It had it's first public outing yesterday in church.

I ran it through the 12" speaker of an Ashbury combo as a low level monitor and it was DI from the send into the FOH desk.

They loved it.