Why become a member? ×

Pickups wiring Warwick Corvette standard

MarioSpos

Hi there, I want to mount a pair of DiMarzio ultra jazz replacing the Mec on my Warwick corvette standard. I have successfully replaced pickups on fender jazz and fender precision before, but the Warwick wiring seems to be different (probably due to the volume, pickup selection, tone vs volume, volume, tone ).

the MEC dynamic control only have one wire( white in picture) while the ultrajazz have one red and one green wire. 

can anyone help me with wiring this up? 

also a very silly question  - the white wire seems to have 2 lines an outer wiring and an inner cable. Would they be the equivalent of the red and white of the di marzio ?? 

thank you all! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Solder the green Dimarzio wires (both pickups) to  the case of the blend control. Solder the  red Dimarzio cables to the slots in the blend control where the two thin wires are in the photo.  Solder sucker or desolder braid is useful with those connections to prevent solder blob build up  One thing to watch for is the position of the wires under the pickup and the two springs. Tape the wires to the sides of the  magnets so that the springs do not press against the wires.

Edited by 3below
  • Thanks 1

The wires on the DiMarzio pickup pictured were/are very short, checking the obvious, when you extended the wires you will have covered the joins with heat shrink or insulation tape?  If you have a multimeter, check that there is not continuity (or low resistance) between the green wire connections and the ground connections.  Next check that the there is continuity between the case solder joins on the blend control and the solid bridge ground wire on the tone control.  If there is not continuity, resolder them. If you haven't got a multimeter, look at the ground wire solder joints on the blend pot. Smooth, shiny = good, lumpy, porous, dull gray looking  = bad.  If the latter, resolder them.   When resoldering be bold,  let them get sufficiently hot so that the solder flows well - puddles.

When I recently fitted Ultra Jazz pickups to my Warwick Corvette (active) I found it more susceptible to noise (e.g. from PC) than the original MEC pickups which have screened cables (where we rehearse is electrically very noisy, it was not just my kit having problems).   I eventually fitted some EMGs I had bought many years ago on BC and screened the cavity, including a soldered connection to the cover (not shown). DiMarzio model Js I have in another bass have never shown this issue in the same location.

Full metal jacket plus EMGs - "it's not my kit making the noise chaps" :) 

corvette-screened.thumb.jpg.497f71ab7e2b53a4c54a65dbc7b3d554.jpg