Why become a member? ×

Boss GX 100 users

SumOne

I've just got a Boss GX 100 and am impressed. It is comparable to the Stomp XL for sounds and features, seems a bit like Apple vs Microsoft in that the Line 6 things are a bit more 'Apple' and immediately intuitive with slicker software interface while the GX seems to allow deeper editing but isn't always as intuitive so can't wing it quite as much - so tips from other users would be helpful. 

The first tips I have are:

- When first plugging in, don't be disheartened if the tuner doesn't recognise your B string: Go to 'in/out settings' and select Bass (guitar is default) and adjust to the correct input sensitivity. Then, when using the tuner, turn the 'select' dial to chose your preferred view and then set for tuning type (e.g.  5 string B regular). The tuner then works very well. 

- There are no blank presets. Create a template on the 'user' presets by deleting effects and saving (write), that can then be used to overwrite other presets (write/insert). 'Initialize' will delete your preset and revert to original.

My questions (so far!)

- Line 6 footswitch lights can be lit up dull when switched off to help indicate what it'll be when switched on (e.g. Blue for chorus). Is there a way of doing similar with the Boss footswitch lights? I expect not, there is 'control view' where the screen shows what the footswitches will activate but those thin coloured outlines of small text boxes when 6 foot away aren't obvious to my poor eyesight so any way of making it more obvious would be good. 

Edited by SumOne

I'm glad you like it!

If you get the bluetooth module and you're having issues with it, I recommend connecting to the audio signal before connecting to the MIDI one. It's the opposite of the booklet, but worked for me after a frustrating half an hour.

You can't seemingly do anything with the footswitch colours/brightness. I was hoping to tweak the colours to my preference. No dice!

If you don't need any other pedals, this cheaper case also seems better than nothing so far. I got an extra long figure 8 cable so the rest of the power block is velcroed down. 

PXL_20221116_155808042.jpg

• Thanks 1

^^^

Nice one. I might get one of those cases. I've sold off all my pedals so am going to try and just use the GX on its own

....although a C4 in the fx loop would be a good addition for synths and extra filters and I expect it could be controlled by the GX-100 via the forthcoming Source Audio midi adaptor (although those types of things often end up being much more hassle than they should be!). 

I like that the power has a figure 8 cable - cheap and easy to get in different lengths. Ideally for me, the power block part would've been built into the unit but I guess some people wouldn't like that if they wanted to power it from a power brick - can't please everyone!

Edited by SumOne

I'd also prefer the block to be inside the thing. I guess they also probably have the same one for X number of products and it's easier for them to do it like that. I'm almost tempted to trim the long cable and put a new DC connector on it. Should probably wait for the warranty to run out first mind!

• Like 1