Why become a member? ×

Should I get sound out of both earphones?

mynameisjoe

Sorry for the probably silly question. I intended to start learning bass a while ago, life and work got in the way and it sat in the corner gathering dust. Now that things have eased up I decided to dust it off and put some new strings on. But before I did it got a good clean. I removed everything I could so I could get into all the nooks and crannies, I was a little shocked when I opened the cover for the pots, looks like it was soldered by a monkey. So I got the soldering iron out, downloaded the wiring diagram and removed the lot. The only discrepency between original wiring and the diagram was that the pots for the front and rear pups were swapped. I reconnected as per wiring diagram, Ibanez GSR200. Everything back together, strings on and tuned. When I plug my VOX AC30 in and then connect my earphones I only get sound out of the right hand earpiece, is that normal? I can't remember what it was like before as it was so long ago. Headphones work ok on other devices, new batteries in bass and VOX.

Is this just the way it is or am I missing something silly?

TIA

Have you tried connecting something to the AUX input and seeing if that comes out in stereo? I'd expect sound out of both earphones. The right earphone would go to the ring connection on the socket and the left would go to the tip, so it sound like either the tip isn't connected or you haven't pushed the earphones plug in fully.

As it turns out, I was being a little thick. The in ear ones I tried first also have a mic. I've just plugged in a pair of over ears without a mic, and they're working perfectly. I don't know why I did'nt think of that before as they have completely different pin configuration!!! Feel a little bit silly now, sorry guys.