Why become a member? ×

Gemini pickups - Mountain Lightning jazz set

foxyFuze

Hi all,

Fancied a change for my 2010 MIJ 62-US bass, and opted for some Mountain Lightnings from Gemini Pickups.  I sold some QPs ages ago and fancied something high output in a similar vein.  I emailed them and had a very quick and helpful response advising that these would be the best option.  
A few days later and they're in.  I do have a rough sound clip comparison but I think I'll redo and tweak the heights more precisely.  
As expected, the MTs - 13.6k and 17k(!) - are a bit more growly in the mids and fatter in the low end, and don't quite have the same zing as the stock ones - 7k and 7.4k. 

That said, not night and day difference played through an interface and amp sim, so I'll see how they fair with a dimed valve amp at our next gig.

Well worth taking at look at this brand and they are very helpful. The Thunderbird options look rather tasty.   In some of the demos the playing is very close to the bridge which may not reflect general use, so I'd use judgement and ask for advice if you're not sure.

Also to note is how good the stock pickups are (US spec in this particular model). 

I'll see if I can get a recording posted, as describing sounds in an objective manner is rather tricky.