Why become a member? ×

NAD - Little Bass Thing!

thisisswanbon

So my Mark bass LM Vintage 1000 (which I loved) has gone the journey. Nothing wrong soundwise, but the input jack fitting crumbled and apparently the part had to come from Italy! Rather than wait a month for repair, Andertons agreed to do an exchange 👍

Enter... Orange Little Bass Thing!

Possibly even more of a eureka moment than the mark bass was! Less bloated on the low end, arguably closer to a tube sound than the MB (which had a tube pre), more immediate sounding with a tonne of weight to the note, and the compressor really adds to the heft. It just felt so easy to dial in a great tone, with minimal adjustments.

It's rated 500W, but volume was massive with the dial at 9 o clock, so either the MB was a bit generous with its numbers or this is hugely more efficient.

Only issues with it are notched controls rather than continuous... Not sure why that'd be it a thing but it'll take some adjusting to.

Also, if I was a bass>cable>amp guy, I'd have that compressor dimed, as it's absolutely magic! But half of my set is played with a solo'd octaver quite high in the mix, and I think it was a bit agressively compressing the notes on D and G above 12th when engaged. Rather than knock heads off as they normally would, they just vanished. I had it set at about 1 o clock, so I'll have to check that out next gig. It has a big impact on overall volume, so not something I want to fiddle with mid gig.

As it was nearly £300 cheaper than the MB, I also got a sansamp VT DI for ampless gig and desk feed. Sounds great through headphones, but the Little Bass Thing did all the heavy lifting last night, so time will tell on that...

Anyhoo... What a great little amp, for what feels like a bargain considering the quality of tone!

20221112_214531.jpg

• Like 4

I had the LBT for a while and it’s one of nicest Orange amps with a tube like feel 

Very loud for a 500w head and simple effective EQ control and a superb Optical Compressor which added grit the more it was increased 

There is an Orange bag that fits it ( not made for the LBT ) so if you need one I can look up the one I found that Orange recommended 

here you  go found it ..,

https://orangeamps.com/product/gig-bags/

Pedalbaby / LBT

Edited by BassAdder60

On 13/11/2022 at 15:24, BassAdder60 said:

I had the LBT for a while and it’s one of nicest Orange amps with a tube like feel 

Very loud for a 500w head and simple effective EQ control and a superb Optical Compressor which added grit the more it was increased 

There is an Orange bag that fits it ( not made for the LBT ) so if you need one I can look up the one I found that Orange recommended 

here you  go found it ..,

https://orangeamps.com/product/gig-bags/

Pedalbaby / LBT

That seems to be a pretty accurate description, going off my 1 gig with it 🙂.  I couldn't believe the volume of it compared to my 1000w mark bass head I'd had before either.  I really thought I might struggle with the limited functionality of it, but thinking about it, what else do you really need in an amp head?!

Thanks for linking the bag!  I'm hoping my MB bag I bought for the vintage 1000 will fit, otherwise I'm stuck with a £60 bag for nothing.  If it's no good then I'll certainly order the orange bag!

• Like 2