Why become a member? ×

Can I make my JazzRay34 lighter???

Waddycall

I’ve got a fantastic Ray34 that I’ve modded with Delano hybrid pickups so it’s  a Jazz and a Ray in one bass. I love everything about it but the weight (and the colour matched headstock). Recent neck/arm/wrist problems resulted in me buying a lightweight shortscale which is much more comfortable to play but every time I plug in my JazzRay it sounds so much better. I’m thinking if I can make it lighter it could become my number 1 again.

any suggestions how I can do this? Tuners are an obvious one.  Would chambering the body help? It’s already heavily modified so I’m happy to take a router to it again if it’s worth it.

im wondering if the weight of the neck would be the limiting factor?

i already use a wide strap so I don’t  think there’s much to gain there.

Cheers

Edited by Waddycall

• Waddycall changed the title to Can I make my JazzRay34 lighter???
3 hours ago, Waddycall said:

I’ve got a fantastic Ray34 that I’ve modded with Delano hybrid pickups so it’s  a Jazz and a Ray in one bass. I love everything about it but the weight (and the colour matched headstock). Recent neck/arm/wrist problems resulted in me buying a lightweight shortscale which is much more comfortable to play but every time I plug in my JazzRay it sounds so much better. I’m thinking if I can make it lighter it could become my number 1 again.

any suggestions how I can do this? Tuners are an obvious one.  Would chambering the body help? It’s already heavily modified so I’m happy to take a router to it again if it’s worth it.

im wondering if the weight of the neck would be the limiting factor?

i already use a wide strap so I don’t  think there’s much to gain there.

Cheers

I've considered body chambering in Phoenix to help keep the weight low, but I'm a bit concerned I might then end up with an unbalanced bass with bad neck dive!

Is pimping up your shortscale (strings/pups/electronics) worth considering to try to get the sound you want?

S'manth x