Why become a member? ×

PMT Northampton

paul h

I just wanted to share a positive music shop experience.

I popped into PMT in Northampton yesterday and was really pleased with the outcome. I didn't buy anything but it was an excellent shop with some decent stock and Adam the manager was friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. I say decent stock, but it wasn't as varied as the Birmingham one was last time I was there. No Sandbergs etc but it did have enough to tempt me to try a couple out.

I tried a 2009 USA P and a USA P deluxe.

The standard P was quite honestly one of the best US Fenders I have ever played. Despite it having a rosewood board and slightly too much relief in the neck for me it was a cracking bass. It played great and sounded exactly how you would want it too and felt as light a a feather. With a set up to sort out the neck relief and get the action a bit lower I think I may well have pulled the trigger.

The deluxe was a bit of a disappointment for me. I have always known I don't like humbuckers so I don't know why I was surprised when I didn't particularly care for the tone. Punchy as hell and great for fingerstyle in the lower register but for me the slap tone and higher register stuff just didn't work. The standard P had way much more clarity even up the dusty end. It was still a great bass though. Just not for me.

Overall, PMT Northampton comes highly recommended from me and anyone looking for a standard P wants to get there quick because the they have a corker!

Paul.