Why become a member? ×

Dug the beast out after a 2 year break...and I liked it!

skidder652003

Having been gigging with a Markbass CMD 12H combo for a while and really enjoying it;s super light weight and big sound, I decided to drag out from under the stairs the old Ampeg SVT-CL and 410 HLF that had been sulking away since before covid.

To be honest I wasn't actually expecting that much of a difference as I DI into the PA as well. I nervously fired it up (I'll not lie, I'm a little terrified of it) and apart from a bit of crackle on the master pot (made me stinky poo myself), all was good.

Took it to the venue (made sure it was an easy load in) and set it up.

WOW WOW WOW 

Unbelievable tone, huge Hef...(I'll not utter that word on here) and big creamy fat that I had forgotten all about. Zeps Heartbreaker sounded the best I've ever heard me play it. Even the guitarist and singer commented on how fab it sounded. I'd love to use it on all the gigs but it's just too heavy, so maybe it'll get an airing 2 or 3 times a year but by God what a sound, absolute beast. maybe there is some truth in the difference with valves? Don't want to necessarily spark that old debate but if you ever get the chance to gig with something like this, really, give it a go.  :)

• Like 3