Why become a member? ×

Short scale JMJ mustang, La Bella and a dead E string

Brucegill

Looking for a little help…

I have a JMJ Mustang and bought a set of La Bella 760F-MUS Deep Talkin Bass. 

these seem like the correct La Bella for a through body short scale mustang…

the E string is dead as dead thing. Sound like there’s a mute on the E, but not the others. Lots of reading on line and it seems either -

A. That’s what they’re all like, the A, D and G string mellow and the E brightens up and after a break in period they all sort of catch up and get to a uniform sound. 

B. I’ve somehow twisted the E string. 

I’ve tried all I can to make sure the E isn’t twisted. Taken it off and re strung it. Loosened the string, popped the ball end back out of the body and then tightened the string. (I didn’t wrap the string round the post by hand, I tightened the tuning peg). 

the E string is pretty tight in the body/bridge. The silk wrap is partly to blame I think. 

anything else I can try? Lube the string at the bridge end maybe? Or is it just a dead string?

audio here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa1qeh1cua1is4s/labelladeadE.mp3?dl=0

many thanks! 

Edited by Brucegill

Don't be shy about getting a replacement, manufacturers expect some faults to go out the door. The only way you could make that string sound like that is by dipping it in candle wax.

I've used Bass Centre Elites for about 25 years, steels/flats/nickle, they seem to have a softer tension to other string sets I've tried. I couldn't count the amount of sets I've been through but I've never had a duff string. The packs have always been consistent.

• Like 1