Why become a member? ×

Head Swap : Putting a Mark bass head in combo - For the idiot

synthaside

After suffering a bit of an intermittent issue with my Markbass CMD121p Combo , Intermittently it decides to quit on me mid song at rehearsals for a few weeks in a row  but seems all but impossible to replicate at home .
I even ran a looper for 8 hours at volume ( my poor neighbours)

I finally bit the bullet and decided to purchase a replacement mark bass Little Mark head from this fine parish to attempt to frankencombo , thanks for the speedy shipping @cLepto-bass

Turns out its an older Italian head so is different inside but despite that turned out to be so easy even this useless monkey, more likely to stab himself with the screwdriver was able to do it in about 15 minutes.
I thought I'd put together an idiots guide for anyone who wants to do this in the future , complete with 90's phone cam quality photo's as i hadn't planned to actually post this

1 :   Remove the 4  hex bolts from the rear of the combo 

image.thumb.png.6cdced5d93c62e1c834056620f22a3c8.png

1.5 Remember to unplug the jack from the cabinet , as this will make pulling it out a challenge .

image.thumb.png.cd0f38df08304e154dc2bc1014726360.png

2:  Remove these screws from the plastic corner shroud  of one side , this releases the tension enough on the front of the cab to slide out the head unit from the front

image.thumb.png.bb08ede55ecda0b41e122b8173141deb.png

3: Remove the feet from your Doner Head unit with 4 screws and some light pulling

image.thumb.png.bfd00d4bf5cf3380faecaaf2c63f0357.png

4:   Optionally salvage the top screws and top plate  from the replacement head  (I want to use the old combo head for home practice) but it slides in just fine with its case on)

image.thumb.png.f7740b10b428cd02dadf7871758d5028.png

Interesting differences here , someone much smarter than me will know what's changed  

5 Slide it on Home and screw it all back up 

image.thumb.png.753290cd6e61c57d4fe134fc6d73616e.png

I decided to go with it flush rather than recessed as mine used to collect dust

6: Screw as many of the screws from the top plate onto the combo head as you can 

image.thumb.png.5acfc94f4beea82686b7674a34c72902.png

No where near a perfect fit , due to the lack of screw options for the middle but its safe secure  will work just fine

7:  Play  bass  , now i have a spare head unit for home use with my expansion cab ... which as long as i dont use it at rehearsal seems to work just fine.

Edited by synthaside
  • Like 2