Why become a member? ×

HK 6 string bass Review "As promised"

littleal

[quote name='pablyth' post='987630' date='Oct 14 2010, 03:01 AM']Sure thing, I'll grab the digi camera from work and post some over the next week (my mobile phone is steam powered, so no cam :lol:). Looks pretty much the same as the OP's, but with gold hardware.

An update after having used for a while: The walnut is pretty dense, a bit mushy low down without a little eq tweaking. Having said that, I've not failed to find a decent sound with a little effort (thick low bottoms suitable for dub through to a high twangy top with rolled mid for slap have been found - that active/passive switch is just to save batteries when solo practising though!). It's not the lightest 6-string even if fairly well balanced on a decent strap, but then again I've only previously used 4's for extended periods while standing. I suppose 4 hours is a fairly long time to be standing up wearing any bass. I'd guess it weighs about 20% more than my J-bass (by the lift a bass in each hand and guess test, most scientific!).[/quote]

Thanks! :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='987879' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:42 AM']Thanks! :lol:[/quote]

No worries, here ya go.

[attachment=61551:IMG_0723.JPG][attachment=61549:IMG_0725.JPG][attachment=61550:IMG_0724.JPG]

[attachment=61548:IMG_0726.JPG][attachment=61546:IMG_0728.JPG][attachment=61547:IMG_0727.JPG]

Just changed the random set of strings I got from local music store for some DA XLProsteels EPS170-6 super bright. That bottom has tightened right up. Padded strap too, and the weight worries are drastically eased.

I've been buffing the front simply with a cloth (lots), not got around to much of the back yet. The factory finish is, um, unfinished.

Why have I got 1 battery box, and littleal has 2? :)

Edited by pablyth

[quote name='pablyth' post='990459' date='Oct 16 2010, 06:25 PM']No worries, here ya go.

[attachment=61551:IMG_0723.JPG][attachment=61549:IMG_0725.JPG][attachment=61550:IMG_0724.JPG]

[attachment=61548:IMG_0726.JPG][attachment=61546:IMG_0728.JPG][attachment=61547:IMG_0727.JPG]

Just changed the random set of strings I got from local music store for some DA XLProsteels EPS170-6 super bright. That bottom has tightened right up. Padded strap too, and the weight worries are drastically eased.

I've been buffing the front simply with a cloth (lots), not got around to much of the back yet. The factory finish is, um, unfinished.

Why have I got 1 battery box, and littleal has 2? :)[/quote]

Hmmmm =S They both fir two 9V battries right so not a huge issue, just something to think about?

Whats the scale length? is it a "long" as it were 35"? as i love the Rotosounds but they only make them as a 34" set i think (the mega down tune ones)

If i got one i'd change the Pre-amp and most likely the pickups both to Bartolinis, Its got a kill switch right?

Each piccie up makes me want to take the plunge and buy dmz's 7! haha!

Most likely spend the £300 of its worth on doing it up too, strap locks, pre-amp, maybe pups and a re-finish? Then by my maths, £600ish for a bass that seems like its worth £1000+? xD

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='990675' date='Oct 16 2010, 09:55 PM']Hmmmm =S They both fir two 9V battries right so not a huge issue, just something to think about?[/quote]
Must be in parallel for longer running time, it's not that greedy though anyway.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='990675' date='Oct 16 2010, 09:55 PM']Whats the scale length? is it a "long" as it were 35"? as i love the Rotosounds but they only make them as a 34" set i think (the mega down tune ones)[/quote]
35"

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='990675' date='Oct 16 2010, 09:55 PM']If i got one i'd change the Pre-amp and most likely the pickups both to Bartolinis, Its got a kill switch right?[/quote]
Yup, well my version has. The advertised one just has an active/passive, kinda killish. So seems a touch pot luck.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='990675' date='Oct 16 2010, 09:55 PM']Each piccie up makes me want to take the plunge and buy dmz's 7! haha!

Most likely spend the £300 of its worth on doing it up too, strap locks, pre-amp, maybe pups and a re-finish? Then by my maths, £600ish for a bass that seems like its worth £1000+? xD[/quote]
If you get a good one in the first place. :lol: The finish definitely needs looking at, but I'd give it a go with the current pups, and see what you think of the pre-amp for a while. Actually, that's a good point. Most of it is decent to start with, so a nice project for a gradual upgrade. Thanks for the idea. :)

[quote name='pablyth' post='990691' date='Oct 16 2010, 10:14 PM']Must be in parallel for longer running time, it's not that greedy though anyway.

35"

Yup, well my version has. The advertised one just has an active/passive, kinda killish. So seems a touch pot luck.

If you get a good one in the first place. :lol: The finish definitely needs looking at, but I'd give it a go with the current pups, and see what you think of the pre-amp for a while. Actually, that's a good point. Most of it is decent to start with, so a nice project for a gradual upgrade. Thanks for the idea. :)[/quote]

Thanks! and no worries :)

Its just i have a thingy for Bartolinis, love 'em!

And i borrowed a friends 5 string for a whiley for a job with a metal band, and all i could get with it was honkey and jazz tones, not my cuppa! Maybe it was just the wiring and such like and pre-amp etc

It was like a warwick style with the two pups in the middle,

Well if i get one it will probably be dmz's one, or one of the FLEbay depending on funds and what not

• 1 month later...