Why become a member? ×

Soundboks VS Battery-Powered bass amps VS Powerstation + bass amp

Gospel77

Hi.

New to the forum. First post.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience using Soundboks speakers for bass. 

If so how do they compare in sound quality, power, and convenience to

1)  Battery-Powered bass amps

or

2) Using a power-station with a mains-powered bass amp (e.g. Anker 521PowerHouse)

PS I did look to see if this question was 'well' covered before posting. If I missed it pls point me in the right direction.

Appreciate you're input. Thanks! 😀

Welcome to BassChat. You've probably had to wait a bit for an answer because neither of those things are really bass equipment so nobody here will be very familiar with them. Neither am I but to me these look like domestic kit for people who just want to go camping and make a bit more noise or recharge batteries. Eye wateringly expensive too.

The battery pack is no match for an ordinary leisure battery which will typically carry four times that charge and cost about a third (admittedly they will be much heavier). The Soundboks speaker is just another bluetooth speaker. Admittedly a 10" speaker is unusual. I sincerely doubt that it will create 121db sound levels at 40Hz even despite it's extraordinary price. You don't want bluetooth when playing bass anyway as it has a time delay (latency) which would make playing along with anyone else tricky.

The problem is that bass is power hungry so portable speakers are bass light and batteries area a bulky way of providing power so power is limited and portable amps tend to be power light. Roland make battery powered PA amps in their Cube series and other people have used battery powered PA amps. The other approach is to look for something to run your normal rig from, something called an inverter that converts battery power to mains voltage. This isn't simple because not every amp will work with every inverter. Someone will come along and link you to the relevant threads about portable bass amps.

Because there is so little choice in the market a few of us have looked at DIY approaches and there is a thread where someone built a compact battery powered combo and I've designed a mini bass speaker here which a few other people have built too. House Jam Micro Cab - Amps and Cabs - Basschat

Edited by Phil Starr

• 1 month later...