Why become a member? ×

Wiring mistake? Input sound when lead inserted but no output

Disregard the last post! User error. It helps when the pre amp cable is plugged into your sound card input 🤭

So it works!! The only thing is it sounds like a grounding issue. If I touch a string, pickup, volume or tone knob, bridge or input jack the hum goes away. If it touch the switch the hum gets worse. Think this is an issue with grounding the bridge?

I think the switch got a little bent and I just need to bend it back the other way to get it to stay without popping to the middle position.

• Like 1

OK, in the first photo, the tone control, the wire up from the terminal at the edge that connects to the capacitor needs to connect to that wire that it is almost but not quite touching, or the tone won't work.

Other than that I can't immediately see why you are not getting any sound. again, check with your meter across the terminals of the jack socket, With the volume fully one way it will be zero, with it fully the other way it should be many thousands

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

OK, in the first photo, the tone control, the wire up from the terminal at the edge that connects to the capacitor needs to connect to that wire that it is almost but not quite touching, or the tone won't work.

Other than that I can't immediately see why you are not getting any sound. again, check with your meter across the terminals of the jack socket, With the volume fully one way it will be zero, with it fully the other way it should be many thousands

Ok, thanks. I dobbed a little bit of solder there so it's now connected to the tone.

PXL_20220506_141212404.thumb.jpg.911a25dbe367241e00df1ea797633a98.jpg

I'm not sure if you saw my last post since I posted it pretty quickly after my previous one. The bass is working but with a ground hum. I'm still unsure of where the grounding issue is coming from though. Any way to troubleshoot this other than just eyeball it?

I tried to pull the ground wire out from under the bridge (it's not taped down) and it doesn't budge. So I'm thinking the bridge ground is ok.

Edited by dajaphonics

1 hour ago, dajaphonics said:

I tried to pull the ground wire out from under the bridge (it's not taped down) and it doesn't budge. So I'm thinking the bridge ground is ok.

You have a meter, check that all the metal parts conduct to each other, it could be trapped by anything

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You have a meter, check that all the metal parts conduct to each other, it could be trapped by anything

I found a few sources actually. The original grounded volume terminal wasn't working anymore for some reason. I did this again. That got rid of some noise. However, there's another source I found in the tone knob. When tone is at the lowest setting there's no noise. At the highest there is noise. When I touch the tone pot it quiets the noise. I tried to buzz the middle terminal on the tone pot going to the capacitor but I couldn't get anything. Could it be the cap that's bad or do I need shielding?