Why become a member? ×

Replacement P-neck for my MIA Peavey Fury

solo4652

Hi,

I have a tone-tastic 1987 MIA peavey Fury. It has the most wonderful, bright, clear piano-like tone which I really like. But, it has a skinny J-neck which I struggle with. Yesterday, I tried a new MIA Fender P and secondhand Stingray, but I was a bit disappointed - the P didn't give me the tonal range or clarity I have with my Fury. The Stingray was getting close, but was just too expensive.

My Fury has a 4-bolt neck, fitted with a microtilt adjustment thingy in the pocket. 21 frets.

Neck pocket measurements (OMG, I've just taken the neck off - my poor bass is now IN BITS):

length: 92 mm, front width: 58mm, rear width: 62mm, front depth: 15mm, rear depth: 18mm

So, I'm left with the option of replacing the J neck on my Fury with a P (or some other wide) neck. Some questions, please:

Will a replacement neck significantly change the tone? I really don't want to change it much (just need more finger-room/greater string spacing)

Anybody got something which might fit? Ideally (ha!) something which will drop straight in and I can re-use the existing tuners, bolts, plate, string tree if needs be.

All ideas welcome.

Steve