Why become a member? ×

Lefty setup

pobolycwm

Is there any difference between a lefty or the other type when setting up a bass. When i purchased the bass on here the strings had been lowered, as i have now started learning i am getting a lot of problems with them hitting the other frets. A shop local to me in port talbot wanted 20 quid just to plug it in and listen.
The only reason i ask is because other left hand specific items i own have different set-up and adjusting techniques compared to the other type

cheers
jamie

Hi Jamie, I play a lefty bass and have set up and fret dressed hundreds of basses, both left and right handed.
There is no difference at all, the same methods are used, setting of string height (action), altering the tension of the neck in relation to the pull of the strings (this works in conjunction with altering the height of the bridge saddles to get the action set) and the intonation.
You will be able to do all of these yourself, with a bit of experimentation. If you need any tips, PM me.
Steve.