Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision late 60's - early 70's P-bass: what aftermarket pickup comes closest?

sietze

Hi all,

The title says it already a little bit: I am looking for an aftermarket Pbass pickup that has (more or less) the same characteristics as the pickups found in late 60's - early 70's P-basses.

I have an 2013 American Standard, in which the custom shop pickup was placed. Since it was quite mid-scooped, I swapped it for a Pure Vintage '63. That does give the bass a real, fat P-bass tone. But it seems that de pickups in mentioned era have somewhat more pronounced high-mids, or something more open than the PV'63.

Who can help me out with advice?

Thanks!

Sietze

I'd get in touch with Stuart Robson at Sunbear pickups - https://www.sunbearpickups.com/ . He made a fantastic set of Jazz pickups for me, which we a/b tested against some Abby's from a CS Jazz. Stu's pickups have much greater clarity, and bass extension, together with a lovely airiness to them. He'll custom-make a P pickup to your sonic / spec requirements, and age them beautifully if that's your thing. Most of the work on his website and Instagram is for guitars but he's been doing a fair amount of work with Chris Dobson at Alpher recently.