Why become a member? ×

NBD: Sterling Stingray Short Scale

ezbass

39 minutes ago, whave said:

Has anyone tried to take the pickup apart yet?

I'd like to replace the pickup cover, but I heard most Sterlings actually have it glued/waxed on, so it's not an easy job.

No, but a quick removal from the body should reveal if it is affixed in any way. If it is stuck on, I’d leave well alone, maybe spray it the required colour/shade.

• 1 month later...

It's now been eight months since this wee beastie arrived on my doorstep and I thought it was time for an update. 

After playing with all the pickup settings, I have settled on the single coil selection as my favourite. Because it's the neck coil, the sound is somewhere between a 'Ray and a P Bass, which makes sense given its placement. It's a really rich, plummy tone that bridges the gap between the 'Ray and P. For songs that need a shade more honk, I just select the parallel setting and it's all good.

I've recently lowered the nut slots a bit more and I think it's probably bang on now. I've lowered the action below my usual 2mm and it still doesn't buzz and is super fast for me, there isn't much or any adjustment left in the truss rod, however, not that it needs any more straightening. The action could go lower, but that would require a shim (the E saddle is bottomed out now) and it's really fine where it is.  I still find the body a touch small and would benefit from a little more depth for total right forearm comfort, but it's OK really.

That's it, nothing more to report, just need to get out and play it with other folk.

• Like 3

I like the single coil setting the best as well, which is usually not the case for me :) 

I have lowered the action as well just a little bit above buzz levels and it's slick as hell.

I do have 2 dead notes tho, fret 18 on the D and G strings just buzzes out without any sustain at all. Not that I need them that often, but still :) 

I am planning to bring it to a luthier for some fret grind and professional setup, and then it will be just perfect to play. It's already pretty close. :) 

• Like 2