Why become a member? ×

Deeper Purple

Phil C

Guess who we are a tribute to!? We're all dotted around the world - with me and the drummer in the UK, the guitarist in Southern Spain, the singer in the Greek Island of Rhodes and the keyboardist in New York - so gigs have to be clustered together in little tours, normally with no rehearsal (except soundcheck catch ups).  Covid really screwed us with the travel issues - however we have just announced dates for April/May 2022 around the UK - ticket links are all on www.Deeperpurple.band

Here is Speedking from our last tour (about 2 nights before lockdown  - March 13th 2020).  Enjoy!?

• Like 4

That’s great. Reminds me of a DP tribute that some mates of mine had that went out as Deepest Purple (there was another band with the same name, aka Weakest Purple, who did the wigs and everything but weren’t quite as good). I always said that if they fancied starting up again, I would take the bass chair. I always loved playing that stuff (although I’m now doing a Zep tribute, which is great fun as well). 

It’s a shame that you aren’t playing anywhere closer to West Yorkshire than Darwen. 

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

That’s great. Reminds me of a DP tribute that some mates of mine had that went out as Deepest Purple (there was another band with the same name, aka Weakest Purple, who did the wigs and everything but weren’t quite as good). I always said that if they fancied starting up again, I would take the bass chair. I always loved playing that stuff (although I’m now doing a Zep tribute, which is great fun as well). 

It’s a shame that you aren’t playing anywhere closer to West Yorkshire than Darwen. 

Yes - the DP bass lines are great fun most of the time.  There's plenty going on in most songs, and you have the chance for a little improvisation as well.  As for Zep - I'd love a go at that, although some of the bass lines are challenging!  I played The Immigrant song as a cover once - amazing work out!!  We have played a couple of gigs with Whole Lotta Led - really nice guys, and they make it look easy.  Which tribute are you with?

2 hours ago, Phil C said:

Yes - the DP bass lines are great fun most of the time.  There's plenty going on in most songs, and you have the chance for a little improvisation as well.  As for Zep - I'd love a go at that, although some of the bass lines are challenging!  I played The Immigrant song as a cover once - amazing work out!!  We have played a couple of gigs with Whole Lotta Led - really nice guys, and they make it look easy.  Which tribute are you with?

I’ve recently joined Led Into Zeppelin, after depping for them for a bit when the last bassist was having a few issues. We seem to be getting plenty of gigs all over the place, with a lot in the North West, the North East and a few in the South West.

There’s certainly a lot to go at for the bass player and getting the JPJ lines right is a bit of a challenge at times. I hadn’t really played that many LZ tracks before, despite being a big fan since I was a kid. I’ve noticed that JPJ plays a lot of things that are not too dissimilar to what I would play normally, so I’ve obviously picked up a lot from him when I was learning, without really being aware of it!

Out of interest, what other gigs do you do / have you played in any other tributes?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, peteb said:

I’ve recently joined Led Into Zeppelin, after depping for them for a bit when the last bassist was having a few issues. We seem to be getting plenty of gigs all over the place, with a lot in the North West, the North East and a few in the South West.

There’s certainly a lot to go at for the bass player and getting the JPJ lines right is a bit of a challenge at times. I hadn’t really played that many LZ tracks before, despite being a big fan since I was a kid. I’ve noticed that JPJ plays a lot of things that are not too dissimilar to what I would play normally, so I’ve obviously picked up a lot from him when I was learning, without really being aware of it!

Out of interest, what other gigs do you do / have you played in any other tributes?

I love JPJ's lines - and I guess it must be a challenge to learn a full set!  I've not been in any other tributes - various Rock cover bands over the years, plus deps for a couple of "late night" bands playing in various Irish Bars around London and for the past 5 years, depping for a function band (with a rock edge).  I have a gig with them this Saturday playing at a Parachute Regiment's Xmas party - now that should be interesting!!   Apart from that I've been keeping myself amused recently playing classical stuff on bass guitar, which you can check out on my YouTube channel  - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpOt0NpcN05elsRj5XLMmlQ

Not many subscibers, but it's more for my own satisfaction than anything else!!

I'll come and see Led Into Zep - if they're ever down my way (Essex/London).  Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil C said:

I love JPJ's lines - and I guess it must be a challenge to learn a full set!  I've not been in any other tributes - various Rock cover bands over the years, plus deps for a couple of "late night" bands playing in various Irish Bars around London and for the past 5 years, depping for a function band (with a rock edge).  I have a gig with them this Saturday playing at a Parachute Regiment's Xmas party - now that should be interesting!!   Apart from that I've been keeping myself amused recently playing classical stuff on bass guitar, which you can check out on my YouTube channel  - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpOt0NpcN05elsRj5XLMmlQ

Not many subscibers, but it's more for my own satisfaction than anything else!!

I'll come and see Led Into Zep - if they're ever down my way (Essex/London).  Cheers

I had never been in a tribute band until a few years ago, then I found myself in a Magnum tribute of all things – great lineup, including the guitar player from the Magnum singer’s solo band. But as you can imagine, it’s a lot easier getting gigs for a Led Zep tribute than a Magnum one.

I had a look at your classical bass YT channel. Very impressive! It made me pick up a bass and try and to remember a Bach cello thing that I learnt once, just to see if I could manage to read a score (answer – yes, but only if I learnt it a couple of bars at a time over a period of three or four days)!

The Zep tribute are supposed to be playing down in Chelmsford at some point. I’m not sure when, as it was a cancelled gig that we need to rearrange. I will give you a shout when they finalise a date.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peteb said:

I had never been in a tribute band until a few years ago, then I found myself in a Magnum tribute of all things – great lineup, including the guitar player from the Magnum singer’s solo band. But as you can imagine, it’s a lot easier getting gigs for a Led Zep tribute than a Magnum one.

I had a look at your classical bass YT channel. Very impressive! It made me pick up a bass and try and to remember a Bach cello thing that I learnt once, just to see if I could manage to read a score (answer – yes, but only if I learnt it a couple of bars at a time over a period of three or four days)!

The Zep tribute are supposed to be playing down in Chelmsford at some point. I’m not sure when, as it was a cancelled gig that we need to rearrange. I will give you a shout when they finalise a date.

Wow - Magnum - that is niche!  I covered one of their songs many years ago - The Spirit.

I can' read quickly from a score - I just work it out, and between the notes and my ear get there in the end!

Good luck with the band, and hope to catch you sometime!

• Like 1