Why become a member? ×

Replaced machine heads, getting weird head buzz due to nutring size, need ideas

BabyBlueSound

Hope someone can help me with some advice here. I have replaced my loosey, cheapo machineheads with a nice set of Schallers.

However that nut-like ring-thing (highlighted on screenshot, sorry don't know the proper name for that part) was just a tiny bit smaller than the original rings, like 0.3mm according to my digital caliper. The original rings have been a perfectly tight fit, while the new one has just a tiny bit of wiggle room.

So I wrapped some masking tape around the rings until it became very hard to push in, and hoped for the best. My hopes were soon crushed by a weird buzz being present, and upon careful listening I found that it is indeed coming from the base of the machine heads. I think it even started to slowly crawl out due to the resonation as I have definitely pushed them all in tightly and now some of them got a tiny bit of room between the headpiece and the metal part.

So ok, filling the gap with masking tape is clearly not an option.

What should I do? Use some Loctite threadlocker on the metal rings? Put small pieces of bamboo around the inner metal part to stabilise it further? Gorilla glue? A combination of these?

schaller.png

I solved this on a bass neck I was sent with original Squier rings still in place. They were slightly too large for the tuning heads I fitted, and the ones that suited the tuning heads were loose - or three of them were.

Solution: I took them out and very carefully aligned the ridges on the rings with the ridges left in the holes by the old tuners. This was surprisingly easy to do, and I felt plenty of resistance. Instead of easily dropping out, they are now nice and secure. No mystery noises.