Why become a member? ×

Not a gig...

zbd1960

Finally, after a Covid hiatus back to Feb 2020 the local Rock School has resumed. As those who've read my scrivenings will be aware, it's not my usual sort of musical haunt... I took the view back at the start of 2020 that joining th elocal one was the way to both learn to play bass and get some playign experience in a 'safe' environment...

So, in Feb 2020 I went for my trial session with them. I was about to head to NZ, so expected to start weekly sessions with them in April 2020. Lockdowns etc hit and the venue they use has only just permitted group activities to resume.

So, last night was the first adult session. I think there were 4 tutors on duty - my bass teacher (who's also a drummer), a drummer, and a couple of guitarists. I think there were 10 'students'. I'd say all the students were 50+ and I don't think I was the oldest.

What's interesting, is we don't realise that we are making progress. Because there are some absolute beginners, it was simplified lead sheets with words and note/chord names, which is not what I prefer, but I understand why... Although I'd never played any of the pieces we covered (3 of them) and whilst it was basic root notes, I was able to keep up, realise when I'd made an error, and ended at the right time, so I'll call that progress.

• Like 2