Why become a member? ×

My '71 Musicmaster in need of some TLC

Shire

Little update:

After trying various wiring configurations, it appears that the PDF was correct with regard to the pickup wiring. The black and white wires completely contradict the usual live/earth colour scheme.

I found out what was causing the hum too, the jack input was touching the copper shielding inside the bass so I bent it slightly and taped it up with electrical tape just to make sure :)

All was well so I screwed the pickguard back on, went to test the bass and nothing! I'll take it apart tomorrow to investigate but at least I know know that the wiring is spot on :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

[quote name='neepheid' post='452777' date='Apr 2 2009, 08:45 PM']It depends how "period correct" you want to be. The Musicmaster was factory fitted with a 6 pole piece Strat pickup under a plastic cover. If you're not bothered about that then the usual upgrade is to put in any alternative Strat sized pickup, like a dual rail humbucker, or a lipstick one. The pics are a little small but it looks like you have some kind of dual rail thing in there already? Anything else and you'll likely have to do some routing and/or pickguard cutting.

If you want it back to before, I have a white cover for a Strat pickup from my Bronco if you want it.

For the rewiring, probably get some nice CTS pots and a Sprague (sp?) Orange Drop capacitor.

To give you some ideas, here is my pimped Squier Bronco -

Full size tuners (I wouldn't mess with the ones in your '71 unless they're not working very well)
BWB pickguard
Lipstick pickup
4 saddle bridge with through body stringing[/quote]

I love the look of your black Bronco. Heres a Bronco ive had a go at I gig with it 3 or 4 times a week. It sounds beautiful