Why become a member? ×

Wizard Pickups: the P/J Combo

astar

Last year I fell in love with [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31852"]The '73 P[/url] after rearranging my budget I bought it. It's a stunner, I love the looks and feels but didn't like the quarterpounders P and J it came with.

It also had the well known problem of the pick-ups influence (for the worst) on each other:
- Low output
- Loss of lows
- Overall a thin weak sound

First stop getting the best pickups soundwise and thanks to you guys I picked up the Wizards.
Received the set, installed them and loved the sound of the P-pu and the Jazz stand alone. All together it had the same problem.
Got in contact with Andy and I'll spare you the details but it seemed to be a hard job to fix this problem, worldwide mind you!
Some time after that, I started thinking about filling and refinishing the J-routing :) I received a message from Andy with the best news in weeks. They created a set-up with the lowest possible influence, I could try this prototype, if I'd like...I like!

He sent me a set and it's just great. Perfect P sound, a great Jazz(bridge)sound and a lovely blended tone. The best of both comes together in a full rich sound, just a bit less boomy as a single P enriched with a great Jazz (bridge) tone.

I love it and if you're having the same problem, this is a great set that solves it and as said before Andy is a great guy to work with. Just let him know what it is you need and he'll hook you up.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]Check 'em out[/url]

Best wishes
Aljan

• 4 weeks later...

Good news Aljan.

As you know, that '73 was my old bass. It had an awesome tone with the original PPUP and with the Wizard I installed at the bridge (see below), but I know that subsequent owners didn't like the SDs that had somehow found their way in there after I sold it!

The original bridge PUP - which wasn't original in the true sense of the word of course but had been in their since the '80s - was a Cairns. Having been installed [i][/i]very[i][/i] close to the bridge, it always had a slightly low output, so I had Andy at Wizard overwind a JPUP for me. Alongside the relatively low output of the very old '73 PPUP - relative to most PPUPs anyway - this combination sounded awesome.

Andy is a great guy who responds extremely quickly and effectively to most PUP-related problems. I'm really glad you sorted that old Precision because it deserved better than SDs!

Chris