Why become a member? ×

A quick technical (non-bass) question

Dankology

This is the sort of thing I should just know off the top of my head (and probably did once upon a time) but as my plans to record a session for a friend next week unfurl in a terrifying but sadly predictable way I find my brain unable to process even simple queries.

I want to plug an external mic into one of my cameras - the mic has a 3.5mm mono tethered plug, the camera a 2.5mm mono input. I, of course, do not have the required adapter (although I do: somewhere, just not anywhere anyone with a brain would store it) but I can get a cheap 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male stereo shorty cable delivered prior to the session. 

This should work, shouldn't it? The ring elements of the cable should remain disconnected and unable to interfere with the signal - or am I being naive?

I can use the camera's internal mic if this doesn't work as it will be being synced up with the multitrack audio afterwards but I remember using this particular mic many years ago and it always meant that at least one camera had decent sound while also looking pretty cool mounted atop the camera. 

Any help would be much appreciated, not least if this runs to being available in Salford on Thursday afternoon to lend a hand 😀