Why become a member? ×

New band, first gig

bremen

I played my first gig with The Much Vaunted Surge on Saturday. We'd had 3 rehearsals and not written any songs, so we decided to wing it. Line up is bass(me, fretless), drums, guitarist (been playing about 2 months, got her first electric [a Peavey, weighs a ton] a week ago), amplified Slinky, theremin and xylophone. And a WS Burroughs record on the wheel of steel.

We played in the corner of an art gallery full of lefty anarchisty feministy works and a lefty anarchisty feministy audience. We were behind a sheet, onto which strange images were projected.

So for an hour we made a horrible grinding clanking bashing vavazooming racket...I couldn't see the audience and assumed they'd all leave but they stayed, listened and even clapped at the end. Astonishing how a couple of quarts of beer can fix it so the intonation does not offend the ear.

High point for me was the novice guitarist pulling out a 'solo' at exactly the right moment that sounded so like one of Roland S. Harvey's worst nightmares that I had to stop playing and tell her that she must have my babies, immediately.

Haven't got any more gigs lined up but I met a guitarist later who asked me to audition for his group. Ho ho! They write songs and everything, and probably tune their instruments.