Why become a member? ×

Downtown Express problem

NHM

Hi

I recently bought a Fender Downtown Express pedal, which I'm really enjoying.

But at rehearsals yesterday for the first time I plugged my tuner pedal into the 'Tuner Output' of the DtE and immediately there were electrical problems - loud 'popping' whenever I hit a switch, and also if I tapped my finger on the case or on a pot. When I got home I went through every item systematically in case it was the power supply or a patch cable, and all items seems fine - but the problem persists. (The pedal is fine if you disconnect the tuner patch cable).

I'm assuming that the function of the Tuner Out is to connect directly to a tuner pedal, or have I got this wrong?

Hi, thanks for confirming I have the tuner plugged up correctly.

I hadn't thought about trying a separate power supply.  But just tried it and the problem doesn't go away.

I'll probably take the top off the DtE to see whether there is an obvious loose wire or something fouling the jack socket.

This problem aside, I think the DtE is fab. I've found a compression setting that stays on all the time, and the EQ can kick in as a boost. The drive is OK and pushes into the natural drive of the Bassman to give another switch-controlled tonal variation, but I haven't really found a need it for it the style I play.

Of course when it comes to anything subjective, each to their own!

Edited by NHM
didn't make my point clearly first time!
  • Like 1

taken the lid off the DtE this morning - nothing obviously wrong, but gave all the connectors a press down, reassembled and the problem has gone away - well for now. I expect it will return just before the first set of our next gig!

Another positive comment to add about this pedal is that being able to set the drive before or after the compressor gives another significant addition to the tonal palette readily available.

A downside to this pedal is that it is hard (or I haven't figured out) how to keep the gain sections of each effect under control, so that there's not either a significant increase or decrease in gain when you kick things in or out. It would be interesting to see a circuit diagram (if one exists) to see how the signal path is routed through this baby.