Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Pots annoying me...

josh3184

Trying to tighten up the pots on an ibanez SR as they're wobbling and turning more than they should and I can't take the flipping knobs off- I seem to remember i need to just pull off the tops so I can tighten the nut underneath but I can't remove em. There aren't any screws in the side of the knobs before anyone asks, nor is there any aparent way that they're held on. Any ideas or prior experiences?

Confused.

If you are absolutely sure there are no screws at the sides.....

Get two teaspoons and some thick card to protect the body. Put a piece of card on either side of the pot. Place a teaspoon on either side of the knob with the bowl of the spoon down and resting on the card. Push the edge of each teaspoon under the bottom of the knob then gently lever both teaspoons down at the same time to raise the knob straight up.

As long as you're careful to protect the body with cardboard then this should work (but only if there are now screws !!)

If you've never had them off before they're probably just on really tight.
Keep pulling, p'raps lever under the knob but [u]lever all around at the same time[/u] not just on one side or something will most likely break, :) . Also if using some kind of lever, protect the finish on the front of the bass with thick card or somesuch.
This has worked for me loads of times.

right, worked great for 3 pots, broke the fourth.

This is a righty bass that didn't cost me much that I was just gonna sell on so its not a major worry in my mind, but what the problem is now is working out what the broken pot did so I can replace it. at the moment, one pot seems to be tone, another pup pan, and on more volume for when the pup pan is on the bridge pup, but does nowt when the neck pup is ful on. 4th obv does nothing. Hmmm.

Nope.. broken spindle, knackered pot!
Any figures visible on the body of the pot? Most likely 250 or 500K type A
Can be found here if you're not near a Maplin's or such shops:
[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/4374"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/4374[/url]

says "alpha d500" and the rest is obscured by solder, I'd assume thats 500k. There now seem to be certain grounding issues and most of the other pots don't function in quite the same way, can I assume that (if fitted correctly) replacing the pot will solve most of this?

I wouldn't expect breaking the shaft to give issues like that, although if it's also bust inside the pot it might.
Any wires come loose with the movement of the pots? That's the most common thing.
Usually get guitars brought to the shop with loose pots and 'nothing coming out'. :)
Tone pots are usually A type, linear taper.

Edited by hubrad

If it was working ok beforehand and you're only having these problems afterwards then it's most likely broken pot that is causing the problem.

You might be able to get a wiring daigram here

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx"]http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx[/url]

That should confirm pot values etc.