Why become a member? ×

Routing cavities

Pookus

I now have the donor Epiphone EBO for my Mike Watt-a-like EB3 project. I've sourced most of the parts now, but will need to get the router out (or get someone else to do it).

I need to:

route the pick up cavity for the new pick up(s)
enlarge the control cavity and drill holes for the new control spindles and switches
get someone to make a control cavity cover and EB3 pick guard

If I do it myself how should I go about it.
If I get someone else to do it - who?

Ta.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='437500' date='Mar 17 2009, 04:38 PM']I didn't realise you were 'router experienced' - in that case go right ahead and maybe publish the progress on here.
I'm in the process of converting a 'dog' of a 1965 EBO to EB3 specs - the scratchplate and backplate are easily made if you have a scroll saw. Good luck![/quote]

Interesting - I dont suppose you have any scale drawings I could use as patterns for cutting / routing / positioning of controls etc?

I'm an art teacher and also teach a bit of DT so fortunately have access to some decent gear. We have scroll saws. A tip when cutting plastics with a scroll saw - use masking tape over the join, this dissipates the heat and prevents the hot plastic "welding" itself back together again. Then again, I could use the lazer cutter! :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

Edited by Pookus

No scale drawings I'm afraid but there's some good info available from guys called Fly guitars in the States - just Google it - the pictures have been useful for my project. Try not to get too bogged down with scale detail because the more you study the different styles of the EB3 range the more you will realise Gibson themselves were pretty approximate with things like scratchplate shapes, pickup positions and control spacings. If I can be of use in any way concerning the sort of advice that comes from my 'trial and error' experience I would be glad to help (maybe by P M if we think we might bore the backside off forum members)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='437733' date='Mar 17 2009, 07:56 PM']No scale drawings I'm afraid but there's some good info available from guys called Fly guitars in the States - just Google it - the pictures have been useful for my project. Try not to get too bogged down with scale detail because the more you study the different styles of the EB3 range the more you will realise Gibson themselves were pretty approximate with things like scratchplate shapes, pickup positions and control spacings. If I can be of use in any way concerning the sort of advice that comes from my 'trial and error' experience I would be glad to help (maybe by P M if we think we might bore the backside off forum members)[/quote]

I found that site too. It's where I found info on Mike Watt's basses. Will PM if the need arises, cheers.