Why become a member? ×

Strings for a Dolphin Po II - HELP!

lscolman

Hi,

Not really played my Dolphin since 1993, and already having received some great advice about cleaning the fretboard and frets, I've decided to also give it a string change.

On ebay there appear to be various different types of strings, but am lost off as to what to try? Warwick do various strings (Black, Yellow and Red label). Can anyone with a Streamer, advise which of these they preferred. I like to play slap, and like them to sound punchy. I think a 35,55,75,95 is on already, but is there an easy way to tell what is on already?

Also, can anyone recommend someone to set it up in the local area (Newcastle upon Tyne) ?

Sorry about all the total novice questions.

Cheers, Lee

Guest BassKS

[quote name='lscolman' post='436521' date='Mar 16 2009, 07:27 PM']Hi,

Not really played my Dolphin since 1993, and already having received some great advice about cleaning the fretboard and frets, I've decided to also give it a string change.

On ebay there appear to be various different types of strings, but am lost off as to what to try? Warwick do various strings (Black, Yellow and Red label). Can anyone with a Streamer, advise which of these they preferred. I like to play slap, and like them to sound punchy. I think a 35,55,75,95 is on already, but is there an easy way to tell what is on already?

Also, can anyone recommend someone to set it up in the local area (Newcastle upon Tyne) ?

Sorry about all the total novice questions.

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

stringbusters.co.uk do very cheap strings and are really nice. Id recommend DR hi beams as they last a lifetime. There is a few online step by step string installation guides. Youll save yourself a lot of money and go to bed with a sense of accomplishment. it will feel like going to IKEA and not buying tea candles....

to tell what youve got on youd need to use a vernier or micrometer. i would strongly recomend Elites for snappy slappy strings. theyre not expensive and come in a lot of gauges. elite statium. not player - they are nickle. you would want stainless really for the slaphappy sound. i had light guage on my corvette 5 and my streamer 4 when i had them and they sounded pretty slick in my opinion.
problem is there are sh*t loads of strings on the market, and everyone likes the ones they use the best, so asking for an opinion is always going to cause a bit of debate.