Why become a member? ×

Semi-Alembic

Guest WilliamV

Guest WilliamV

Here's another one that I made earlier and with no progress pics of. It was going to be similar to an Alembic Brown Bass.

First off: The body is a thinnish slab of African Mahogany cut from a 12' plank that I got from a yacht chandlers that I worked at around 30 years ago. The body has been cut for around the same amount of time. I also hand crafted a neck out of teak, but it fell over and broke the headstock off of it before I got a truss rod in and a fretboard on. No pics of it either. When it broke, I lost interest in it until about 3 years ago when I decided to make a go of it. So it is quite an old bass if you think of it that way. 😄 Bought a neck for it that I wasn't and am still not really happy with. Skunk stripe is fake and is just wood stain. 😉  But oh well. It is what it is and it plays really well. Three way switch between P and J or both pickups. The metal plates behind the knobs and the jack are/were drawer pull handle plates from an old chest. Strap buttons are made from security nuts and cup washers. Not much more to say about it really.
INB4: Yes, I know that the door is hung upside down. 😄 

20201009_101712.jpg

20201009_101732.jpg

20201009_101826.jpg

Edited by WilliamV

Guest WilliamV
On 09/10/2020 at 11:27, Chienmortbb said:

Westone Thunder

Thanks.
Westone Thunder never came to mind when I cut it out. Don't think I've even seen one until I just went to look it up.
Nope. Cutaways are very different. Top one goes further forward. Slightly similar but noticeably very different.

This is similar to a 1960 Gibson EB-0 or a Ned Callan Bass and even more like the one that the idea came from. Alembic Brown.

Mine and Westone Thunder. Very different.

Mine v Westone.jpg

Edited by WilliamV
Add comparison pic.