Why become a member? ×

Defretting Ibanez GWB-2

Larmer

Just posted this on Talkbass, but I thought I would seek for thoughts here too:

[quote]Ever since selling my GWB-1 I've wanted to own another one.
Without any luck so far, I recently stumbled across a GWB-2 (the fretted model, of course) in a local shop for a somewhat reasonable price.
It's a new old stock, if you can say that for a 6-8 year old bass.

The GWB-2 sounds and feels already massive by itself.
I might purchase and keep it like that, since it's definetly a player and a keeper in the current form,
but I'm wondering how would it sound if I were to get it defretted and treated by a professional?
I think the specs are 100% same between the GWB-1 & 2?

Would this be an ideal option to get that long dreamed GWB-1 back?
Plus, I like the brown colour MUCH more than the natural finish, which is a huge bonus itself already.

Any thoughts and possible experiences?

Cheers![/quote]

I saw two GWB-2's at the German ebay about a year ago (I think). The second one appeared a week after the first.
I think the first one went for 700 euros (didn't accept paypal, I asked..) and the second one was 900 euros.

This thing is listed at 1490 euros, but it's completely new and pretty much unused + the seller told me he's willing to haggle with the price.
So I think we're looking at a fair price. Again, the bass is a monster (tightest B-string I've ever felt).
The only thing making me sceptical & keeping me back, are the simplicity of the electronics.
I've basically got bored of [b]every[/b] single bass I've owned within 6-12 months if I'm not able to dial out more than one tone.

That's true, I've no idea what I would swap in place, but I think we're looking at an additional 150-250 euros anyways.
I'm also currently thinking of ordering a Status Streamline. If I have to upgrade the electronics in the GWB, it would cost about as much as a new Streamline..

Additional fun;
Lars from 'Spiral Architect' used a GWB-2 on their debut,
take a peek if you're curious OR a fan of over-the-top progressive/technical metal:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyh9CQTdV_k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyh9CQTdV_k[/url]

[quote name='Larmer' post='435436' date='Mar 15 2009, 07:31 PM']Additional fun;
Lars from 'Spiral Architect' used a GWB-2 on their debut,[/quote]

Not true I'm afraid, he used a Steinberger Q4:

[quote]There has been some confusion about the bass, whether I use fretless on the album or not. To end the confusion – I use a Steinberger Q4 on that record all the way through, and it’s definitely fretted. This is the story: That bass has actually a very ‘hard’ sound to it. That’s great for certain things, but can also be limiting. Anyway – in order to create more variations to my lines, I started to experiment with different approaches to simulate fretless bass. My goal at the time was to create a ‘hybrid style’, thus getting the best from both worlds. I used no effects in order to “accomplish” the illusion of a fretless bass. Basically I just tried to play more legato. For instance, one thing I did was to play a lot of parallel octaves in order both to get that richer ‘fretless-sounding’ sound and the desired glissando feel: Listen to the first half of Moving Spirit for extended use of this ‘technique’. It’s reminiscent to using an octaver.

Since then I’ve bought myself a fretless bass, a Gary Willis signature. I use that one in the new project with Steinar. I also have the fretted version of the same bass. As of now I’m not sure which bass I’ll use on the new SA. Perhaps a combination? Time will show.[/quote]

Anyway, back to your original question, I own both a GWB1 & 2 and can confirm that the specs are the same except for the finish and of course the frets.

[quote name='Stickman' post='435483' date='Mar 15 2009, 08:05 PM']Not true I'm afraid, he used a Steinberger Q4:[/quote]

I think I've been fooled then.. Though I do remember reading at some site he used a fretted GWB. This might've been just for live then.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stickman' post='435483' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:05 PM']Anyway, back to your original question, I own both a GWB1 & 2 and can confirm that the specs are the same except for the finish and of course the frets.[/quote]

Arrhhhh, now you are just mean! I want one too! :)