Why become a member? ×

Roland D-BASS 210 issue

saibuster

I've just purchased a roland D-BASS 210. This thing sounds amazing, better than anything else i've ever tried.
I would write a full report on it once i gig and practice with it, i only had it for a couple of days at home.

But i have an issue with it... I'm not sure if its my lack of experience with amps or a real problem.

there is a very audible noise (hiss) coming out of it, even when there is no cable connected to the input.
It seems as if the noise is coming from the input, when i turn the gain all the way up it really adds it.
After i turn the gain all the way up and add some compression, thats when it really gets noisy. i think
this shows that the noise is coming from the input section.

Is that normal? i mean, this is a very high fi amp and i would expect it to be dead quiet. On the other hand we are talking
400 watts which is very powerful and would probably amplify every little nuance on the signal chain.

Edited by saibuster

Hi there,

I have D-Bass 210 and I don't have any issues with audible noise, and I would say that is a very quiet amp. I get a faint hiss when using the super Flat Mode, but very quiet on the Vintage and Modern modes.

I also have the 115X powered extension cab and I have had both at fairly loud gig levels and I have never had an issue with noise. I use the active input and gain set about 12 o'clock

I guess that if your turn up the gain all the way it will become noisy, try reducing the input gain so the input led only blinks occasionally when you play.

If you overdrive the input will not sound good, as this amp is solid state and uses digital modelling (no valves). For overdrive/distortion sounds I use a Sansamp or an Ashdown Lomenzo pedals which sound great with this amp.

Cheers
Joao

thanks for your reply!

Im also using the gain at 12 o'clock and i dont get any clipping. In vintage mode i get no hiss, but on super flat and modern i can hear hiss quite loud from around 12 o'clock on the main volume knob. It seems like the hiss is coming from the twitter, when i turn it down most of it is gone. Maybe it is suppose to be like that and im just paranoid?

How does the Ashdown pedal sounds thru it? This combo could replace the definition of clean and hi fi in the dictionary :) i love it, but i need to have an option for a dirty sound and was thinking about the Lomenzo.

cheers, ito.