Why become a member? ×

Amplitube 2!

Randy_Marsh

Well it comes with a VST interface so any app with a VST host should work.

i.e. Just about every sequencer known to man e.g. Reaper, Sonar, CM Studio (from the free dvd with Computer Magazine), even Cubase (if you must).

Or if you just want a "simple" sound editor which will let you record your bass through Amplitube then Adobe Audition and Audacity (with a vst plugin) will work.

There's loads more.

Edit: Good list of VST hosting apps at [url="http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/HOSTS_VST/"]http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/HOSTS_VST/[/url]

Edited by Eight

Well... whilst I've recorded in Audacity, I've never dealt with VST plugins in it, so may not be the best person to advise.

I think you need the VST Enabler [url="http://audacityteam.org/vst/"]http://audacityteam.org/vst/[/url] first.

Then configure your recording source device in the Audacity preferences.

Um... then it depends on whether you can use Amplitube live (perhaps not). You might have to just hit the record button to record your bass, and then add Amplitube in as an effect afterwards. Since unlike a sequencer, I don't think you can setup a new track with effects and then record into it. Audacity tends to create new tracks when you hit record.

A sequencer would be better for you, but there's going to be a learning curve.

An alternative would be to see if Audacity lets you record your soundcard's output (not using any cables, it does it all internally). I could describe how this works tomorrow (from work) but the Linux version I have here is different.

Anyway, you'd run Amplitube standalone (so you could hear the effect etc.) and then let Audacity take a copy of whats being sent to the soundcard. That might depend on how Ampltube is talking to the card and what card you're using.

Sorry, this possibly isn't as simple as you would have hoped.

[quote]Just to add, you're going to need an audio interface of some description to get the signal into the 'puter in the first place (apologies if this is teaching yer granny...!) or do you have one already?[/quote]

yeh got a Lightsnake USB cable

And yeh, this is all fairly complicated :S

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='433066' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:00 AM']yeh got a Lightsnake USB cable

And yeh, this is all fairly complicated :S[/quote]

If you want to monitor Amplitube while you record I would recommend trying Reaper (because it's very cheap and has a relatively high spec), you may still run into latency problems however. To reiterate what Eight said I imagine you will have to use the ASIO4ALL driver with this to get the best results.

If this doesn't give you any joy you're going to need a 'proper' audio interface...

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure you need to? :)

Edit: Usually easier just to record the bass input and leave Amplitube on as a live effect - unless you need to do something weird with it or save processing power.

Anyway. Erm... I can't remember exactly with Reaper, but look for something like "bounce to clip" as an option for the track (probably Amplitube's output track). Might be called "render" or "freeze" (although that usually refers to something slightly different)

Edit (again): Can't remember if you would have Amplitube output tracks with Reaper.. so it might be a render effect option on the input (bass audio) track.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='456847' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:46 PM']im not using amplitude for the bass now, just guitar cause it sounds awesome

so by doing that i will get the sound thats played in amplitube recorded?

this must be like pulling teeth....[/quote]

Sounds like your using Amplitube as a standalone piece of software rather than running it as a VST plug-in right?

If so, rather than running a seperate instance of Amplitube you just need to select it as an insert plug-in on the track that you want to record guitar on in reaper.

[quote]It sounds to me like you have a Cracked copy.

When you drop a few hundred on a plug in you generally have a host for it or, at the very least know what it is.

Infact, with legit copies you even get instructions.[/quote]

i do have instructions, it came on a PC i bought from a friend

theres another manual as well but its a bit bigger

Edited by Randy_Marsh