Why become a member? ×

Ibanez noisy eq pots ?

2pods

I've had this Ibanez SR1000FM Prestige since I gave up playing live, so it's hardly been used.
However, it's recently started to become noisy when altering the eq controls (they're two dual concentric controls - Bass and Treble on one, Mid band and Boost/Cut on the other.).

I've changed the battery, but no go.
Everything looks OK inside, but the seems to be nowhere in the eq pots (which are way smaller than the volume and pan) to squirt switch cleaner.
I can see something moving through a cutout in the pot when I'm moving the inner control, so should I treat it there ?

It's a mystery to me.
It was fine when I bought it, and it's hardly been used. Its kept in it's case in a cupboard which is not damp etc.

Any ideas ?

[quote name='2pods' post='431491' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:56 PM']I've had this Ibanez SR1000FM Prestige since I gave up playing live, so it's hardly been used.
However, it's recently started to become noisy when altering the eq controls (they're two dual concentric controls - Bass and Treble on one, Mid band and Boost/Cut on the other.).

Everything looks OK inside, but the seems to be nowhere in the eq pots (which are way smaller than the volume and pan) to squirt switch cleaner.
I can see something moving through a cutout in the pot when I'm moving the inner control, so should I treat it there ?

It's a mystery to me.
It was fine when I bought it, and it's hardly been used. Its kept in it's case in a cupboard which is not damp etc.

Any ideas ?[/quote]

I'd go ahead and spray in there, if you can see a turning piece can you turn it so you can't see it any more? Spray might penetrate better if its moved out of the way.

I get this from time to time on both my Ibanez basses (both of which have the stacked eq controls). The previous suggestion of applying switch cleaner through the cut-out usually seems to sort it out for me.

When I clean the pots, I put a bit of cleaner on the outside, at the base of the plastic pot cover and again inside the electronics compartment, down into the pot. Again, that usually sorts it out.

[quote name='2pods' post='431491' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:56 PM']I've had this Ibanez SR1000FM Prestige since I gave up playing live, so it's hardly been used.

It's a mystery to me.

Any ideas ?[/quote]

pots work fine dry...but not with grit or such
get a power air spray like those that you can clean a keyboard with...and the guts of your pc and the fan blades
there are electrical sprays and i think they are carbon tetrachloride based...that should evaporate right away
but blowing out any grit or dust is better done first
if you check out the cost of cleaners ...a new upgraded pot may be a better deal

Edited by mrcrow