Why become a member? ×

P Pickup mod

shoulderpet

Having recently tried a load of P pickups I eventually decided to stay with the Roswell Quarter Pounder P pickup having a nice thick tone and having a good look to it, that being said I have found the highs a little muted compared to what was in the bass before and has less high end than the Duncan Quarter Pounder P pickup and being wound at 8k rather than (i believe) around 12 for the Duncan the pickup has slightly less output.

This pickup is an alnico pickup that uses alnico 5 pole pieces, having some ceramic magnets spare from some cheap pickups and knowing that Dimarzio have a few pickups that have alnico pole pieces boosted by ceramic magnets and having read about people adding magnets to boost the magnetic field on pickups I thought why not give it a try. 

I was initally thinking I would epoxy the magnets underneath the pole pieces but the pole pieces stick out a good mm out the bottom so I resorted to taping the ceramic magnets to the bottom of the pickup using electrical tape.  Put the pickup back in tuned my bass up, nice result! More highs and high mid punch, the pickup is very crisp sounding now, greater output, more of that piano like tone that you get with a bright bass/pickup, worth the experiment

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Thanks 1