Why become a member? ×

EGG BOXES?

Timface

[quote name='Timface' post='45193' date='Aug 14 2007, 11:54 AM']Hey
I was wondering, do these help with sound insulation? Ive heard alot about them but never been sure... And when fixing them to a galvanise roof how is it best to be done! lol

Tim[/quote]

Egg crates are useless in insulation. They help a little bit with standing wave reflection but even for that you;d be better off with foam or carpet stuck on the wall.

For proper sound insulation, you can build a stud wall, using bog standard timber you get from B & Q say 50mm or 75mm thk in section. You want to stuff these walls with rockwool. You'd get about -20 to - 40 db reduction with that depending on your construction, thickness etc. Some people line these with two panels of gypsum board. If you have the space and the facility will permit build a celcon wall as your additional layer. It is an aerated concrete block you can get from B & Q and you can cut it with a penknife or hacksaw, but you lay it on like bricks.

For your galvanised roof, lay some aluminum or timber runners, stuff rockwool, and lay some gypsum boards as per wall insulation.

I think the egg-box idea comes from deadening the sound in a room (i.e. reducing reverb) and not from sound insulation.

Egg-boxes might reduce reverb (by reducing the number of large flat surfaces than can reflect the sound) but you need mass and/or air-gaps for sound insulation purposes as synaesthesia suggests above.

do a search on the [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/"]sound on sound[/url] site for building a studio - there's a 4 part article, very useful indeed that was published 4-5 yrs ago. Egg crates are useless, tho' there's a lot of room deadening products that [i]look[/i] like egg crates out there.
max

You can get sound proofing tiles (12" squares with lots of pyramids on) these will help 'deaden' a room.

To TRULY sound proof a room, you need to build a room inside a room, and suspend the whole room on rubber shock mounts. It'd cost you thousands.

In short, if you want a quieter room to record in, and a better sounding room, get some pyramid tiles from ebay (cheap enough if you hunt a little) and focus on the ceiling and two of the walls.
Put cheap carpets/rugs on the floor and if you can, buy/build a bass trap for the 'plain wall'.

You don't want a totally 'dead' room, but you need one that doesn't "ring".

If you want to stop noise getting 'out' of the room and annoying your neighbours, then you're eaither looking at a suspended room (ie. room inside a room) or finding somewhere else to practice/record/mix.

Paul

I think the idea of using egg crates comes from seeing photos of studio walls covered in foam acoustic tiles that look like egg crates (as redroque mentions), certainly not actual egg crates.

If egg crates are used it'll be like the bits that boy racers stick on their cars that they think look cool but don't actually have any practical advantage.