Why become a member? ×

Jet woosh flanger or phaser for under £100?

redzombie

I just picked myself up a EHX Nano Small Stone, and while I kinda dig it (it's actually my second), it doesn't really do the jet-like woosh thing that I seemed to remember from before (unless I'm getting it mixed up with something else?). I also owned a BF-2 around the same time so maybe that's it, though I swear they could both woosh.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheapish flanger or phaser that does the jet thing rather well, to really in-your-face extremes? No Boss flangers please, I've owned the BF-2B and BF-2 and tried the BF-3. They all sounded a bit too dry and metallic-ish to me, I'm looking for something a bit warmer and less sterile.

EHX's Stereo Electric Mistress looks a bit promising so far.

Edited by redzombie

Erm, the Stereo Electric Mistress isn't very "whooshy", it's quite weak actually as a flanger.
And the chorus is not really that nice.

The Stereo Electric Mistress, though, is in a class on its own, it's really, really nice when combining both the flanger with the chorus, it has a unique tone, I don't think it's actually designed as a flanger or a chorus, really, but as a "flanger + chorus combo with a personal touch", that might explain why the flanger is kinda weak and the chorus is a litlle muddy.

As for whooshy flanger (you're not going to get jet-like whoosh from a phaser, anyway ;) ) I'd have suggested the BF-2, but you said it's too metallic (which is true, mind you), so, +1 for the MXR (although it's over 100 quid I reckon).

[quote name='Alun' post='416603' date='Feb 22 2009, 01:22 PM']Keep an eye out for a secong hand DOD FX72 Bass Flanger, they're fantastic. The newer versions, and guitar versions, pale in comparison.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

This is one I'm particularly intrested in, read good things about it (like it's very wooshy, but much warmer than the BF-2), but so far I can only find FX75's and 70's ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. The Electric Mistress, is now officially off the list (sounds interesting but not what I'm after), so far I'm waiting on an FX72 or if my patience breaks I'll go a few quid over my limit for an MXR. Unless I can find an FX747 which is quite intriguing.

Anyone tried the Guyatone FL-3?

umph - that helps, but still doesn't get where I want the stone.

Things are looking good though. I just won myself a DOD FX72 Bass Stereo Flanger for £33 including postage from the US, fingers crossed the customs nazis don't sniff it out.

Ebay tip - If you can't find something on the ebay.co.uk site (even with "worldwide" selected), try searching on ebay.com and you may find what you need. Just that it wont be listed with worldwide shipping avaliable, US only. Then message the seller, and see if you can get them to ship over here (quite often they will).