Why become a member? ×

Unibass

andrewrx7

At band rehearsal last night, I had a go at using my Unibass through the bass cab. Now, when I first bought it, I did try this and for some reason thought it sounded rubbish, and ever since I have been using a dedicated guitar amp to run the chord effect through (i.e. keeping the effect separate from the bass rig). Last night, I re-tried running it through the 4x10cab, and low and behold, it sound great! In fact I’d go so far as to say almost sounded as good as the guitar amp! The only thing I can think of, is that I tried the Unibass with the bass cab with my old bass, which was far inferior to my current one and never bothered re-trying it when I got the new bass.
So, I was really surprised with the result. The cab seems to retain its punch and low end but easily projects the phantom guitar over the top. Very impressed!
Additionally, for some reason, the Unibass seemed to track better to, with less strange notes being added – can’t see why this should be the case, the only thing that is different is that the effects and the bass signal are combined in one output in this set up, rather than spilt out and run from 2 dedicated outputs if using a seperate guitar amp.
So looks like one less thing to carry to a gig! Result! ;)

The effect I use from the Unibass is an octave (higher than the one played) plus a 5th to give a pseudoguitar chord. Looking at the GT2, it appears to be an amp effects unit, not a rhythm guitarist effect. Great reviews though and looks a good piece of kit, but not for what I use the Unibass for.