Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH500 - Problems!

MananaMan

OK, bit of a problem with my TE head. I originally bought this last year before heading out on tour as it was the only decent SS head in the local shop, and I needed a back-up for my Marshall VBA which had been playing up a bit.

On tour, the VBA duly killed itself in a flash of blown fuses (internal, so I didn't want to risk opening it up) and I fired up the Trace... Lo and behold, it sounded great. Brilliant thought I, SS reliability and great tone.

A few months ago though the Trace started to develop a problem where the output will drop to unusable levels - it just turns itself down, in a way. There's nothing wrong with the kettle lead, or the speaker lead, or the cab. The pre-amp works fine (plenty of level there), and the DI works - its only the power section that goes funny. After about half an hour of being quiet, the amp starts to turn itself up again. Weird!

The last time this happened (this week) the green backlight started to fluctuate in output too - this leads me to believe that its a power supply problem, but as I say I've tried four or five different power sources and leads so I can't fault the actual supply.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is wrong with my "drop it from a crane" reliable amp???

*edit* for spelling

Edited by MananaMan

[quote name='MananaMan' post='402707' date='Feb 7 2009, 11:28 AM']OK, bit of a problem with my TE head. I originally bought this last year before heading out on tour as it was the only decent SS head in the local shop, and I needed a back-up for my Marshall VBA which had been playing up a bit.

On tour, the VBA duly killed itself in a flash of blown fuses (internal, so I didn't want to risk opening it up) and I fired up the Trace... Lo and behold, it sounded great. Brilliant thought I, SS reliability and great tone.

A few months ago though the Trace started to develop a problem where the output will drop to unusable levels - it just turns itself down, in a way. There's nothing wrong with the kettle lead, or the speaker lead, or the cab. The pre-amp works fine (plenty of level there), and the DI works - its only the power section that goes funny. After about half an hour of being quiet, the amp starts to turn itself up again. Weird!

The last time this happened (this week) the green backlight started to fluctuate in output too - this leads me to believe that its a power supply problem, but as I say I've tried four or five different power sources and leads so I can't fault the actual supply.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is wrong with my "drop it from a crane" reliable amp???

*edit* for spelling[/quote]

I have the same amp: trace elliot ah500 12 band graphic, compressor, harmonic emphasis & valve control, is this the one ??
my one was doing the same, as if someone was turning the volume down as i was playing & then after a while it would come back up again,

Have you tried using the xlr speaker socket ?
the problem with my one was the circuit board that the speaker sockets are mounted on "dry joints"
i resoldered them & i now use the xlr socket instead of the jack, i have done hellishly long gigs with it in some really hot places & have not had a problem since & the sound from these heads are awsome,

Just a note:
i have rack mounted my head & run a tc electronics g major through the effects loop & that sounds pretty cool, for some reason it also doubles the output of the amp even when the tc is in bypass mode ???? i dont understand why this happens but it's a real bonus & gives so much headroom it's unbelievable,

Hope this helps
Allan.