Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hartke LH500

lowrentdiscographer

Following on from here:

[post="0"]My DIY Cab Post[/post] (hope the link works)

A shiny new plaything arrived by courier today.

Trouble is, I currently have no finished cab. I'm in a bit of a dilemma; throw the speaker in the original half-arsed cab just so I can have a play and a listen, or get my sorry ass to work and produce a cab that's worthy? I've already had to endure 8 hours of work with nothing but the instuction manual to sate me :wacko: !

S.

It looked like this...

[i]"Howdy Builders,

Following in from a recent thread I started but am far to lazy to find and link, I have nearly finished construction of an Electrovoice 15 as shown earlier in this thread.

As it's oh-so-nearly finished I've been on a spending spree and purchased a Hartke LH500 head (hopefully arriving tomorrow if Mr Delivery Man can get through the snow), an Eminence Kappa 15 (450 @ 8 ohm), and a few other bits and pieces to finish it off, but I think to be fair the cab itself is not as well constructed as it might have been blush.gif . This is at odds with the rest of the project as the speaker and amp are a couple of tiers 'up' from what I'd originally planned.

So I'm thinking about writing off the £12.00 of ply offcuts that I've not yet paid my Dad for, and starting again, but I have a couple of (well actually 4) questions...

How would the cab be effected if I were to construct it from MDF, what are the pro's and cons, as far as the finished product goes?

How would the cab be effected if I were to use thinner material (ply or MDF)? Should I keep the internal dimensions the same, or work to the external volume and use the extra internal space to allow for a coulpe of internal braces (any tips on placement?)

Would it be detrimental if I were to extend the front edge of the 'port top' to bring it flush with the front-face edge of the cab? (For purely aesthetic reasons, I want to cover the baffle and speaker with flat grille, flush to the front, but have the ports 'on show' a-la some of the modern 'boutique-style' cabs)

I've bought some B&Q recycled plastic loft insulation to line it with, it's very dense and very fluffy (technical, I know wink.gif ) but its also quite thick (expands to 'up to 150mm). Will this occupy 'too much' of the internal space, or is this an issue I'm inventing? I was thinking maybe a few well placed staples could keep it in check?

Many thanks,

Steve."
[/i]
... and is in the DIY cabs thread. Sorry.

S.