Why become a member? ×

nordstrand mm5.4 installation

dub

Hi There

I've ordered a nordstrand MM5.4 for installation in an ernie ball musicman stingray 5 (1990 no passive coil).
I'm hoping that they'll send a diagram for wiring the selector switch series/single/parallel with this pickup.
Just wondering if anyone has a diagram for this set up. I emailed nordstrand but no reply as yet.

cheers dub

• 2 weeks later...

I got a reply OK from Nordstrand.

I installed the Nordstrand MM5.4 using the 3 way switching diagram from the Seymour Duncan website. The wire colours are the same so that was no problem.
I'm very happy with the sound of this pickup. Compared to the seymour duncan or the MM it has a tiny bit less top end.

I used to use the series setting for most things with the Seymour Duncan pickup I had before, but the parallel setting is excellent on this pickup, plenty of bass and top end but not too vicious.

It is less noisy in singe coil mode (not a problem if you've got a 3 coil MM).

If you are replacing a MM pickup with one of these make sure you keep the old bolts and springs, as Nordstrand only provide screws and no springs. The springs were originally attached to the pole pieces which is not possible on this pickup due to a plate on the underside. I used 3 springs, kept in place by placing the bolts through them.
This does mean the pickup will not adjust to a very low height but that's OK with me, you can always use foam instead of springs.

All round a very good pickup.

Edited by dub