Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb BO 5

Chelios

Recently aquired one, im looking to change the strap holders from the standard ones to set of there strap locks.

Has anyone done this already? The original ones are quite big, with larger screws than the ones in the offical warwick strap locks. Also is it ok to wax with the standard wax as it did not come with the users kit

any advice would be much appreciated,

Chelios

Edited by Chelios

Sounds like you should be careful if the screws are bigger in the original holders. Can you re-use them with the new holders? You can buy the Warwick wax from the website, but if you don't want to do that, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19072"]here's[/url] a thread about alternatives.

Nice bass, good luck.

Edited by Galilee

[quote name='Chelios' post='393501' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:41 AM']Recently aquired one, im looking to change the strap holders from the standard ones to set of there strap locks.

Has anyone done this already? The original ones are quite big, with larger screws than the ones in the offical warwick strap locks. Also is it ok to wax with the standard wax as it did not come with the users kit

any advice would be much appreciated,

Chelios[/quote]

Ive done this but the other way around - if that helps. Ive acquired 3 warwicks that came with the warwick strap locks and Ive put warwick "end pins" on instead. Screws were the same.

I put Dunlop strap-locks on mine (My Thumb BO was manufactured before Warwick put strap-locks on as standard ;) ). I believe that I was able to just re-use the <very long> screws which were originally on the Warwick strap buttons.

I've found that a good roadie-trick for fixing screw-holes which have got too big is to use tooth-picks. Don't whatever you do use matchsticks! The wood in matchsticks is too soft and the screw will just fall out again after a while. Tooth-picks are made of hardwood and will hold the screw in place.

[quote name='Chelios' post='394616' date='Jan 29 2009, 02:51 PM']when you say use tooth picks are you gluing them in or just placing them in the holes?

Chelios[/quote]
The repair I've done on a previous bass at a gig just involved putting a couple of tooth-picks in the affected hole and the pressure of the screw kept them in there. If I'd have been at home then I probably would have introduced a little glue to maintain peace-of-mind.