Why become a member? ×

stewblack

Finally finished mapping out this amazing Joe Long bassline. Been finding out more about Joe as I'd not previously heard of him. Seems he caught a break when asked to join what he described as 'the biggest band in the world' but being a decent bloke said he would need to work his notice with his current band before he could join Frankie and the boys! What a guy! Fearing he'd blown the gig he was pleasantly surprised when they got back to him evidently impressed with his attitude - especially in light of the sudden departure of their previous bass player.

Joe went from non musician to self taught sometime bassist to member of the New York Philharmonic, when an accident and serious hand injury intervened. Although right handed he played his first electric bass upside down because he could barely use his left hand (the shop had no lefties but Joe isn't the kind to be easily dissuaded).

Before he knew it Joe was off with the rest of the Four Seasons touring the States with Frank Sinatra. 'I got to hang out with him, got to drink with him, got to party with him - he called me Joey' he told an interviewer, and when asked what did you call him? 'Mr Sinatra' he laughed.

The song features on the album Chameleon and wasn't a hit until picked up by the Northern Soul crowd three years after its original release. It's a great album, check out Sun Country from the samre LP if you want to hear Joe laying down a seriously funky groove.

Anyway here is my best attempt at a transcription of the song and a recording of me playing the line slowed to 140bpm to facilitate easier learning. Enjoy!

1242705525_thenight-1.thumb.png.61700ba7cf2b02216e8bfb6c6abb1585.png76701816_thenight-2.thumb.png.3a4927abce77e73c485e77343bc73cb6.png635112558_thenight-3.thumb.png.0da3b0620afadfeed38646863dec19e0.png

• Like 5