Why become a member? ×

How High The Moon

paul, the

Hello,

I was wondering how high the Pickups should be on my Precision special? And should they be level?

I dampen the strings and don't get much out of the G, would raising the pickup help?

If it's personal preference, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

I'm sure this is something pretty obvious but I wanted to hear some recommendations before I started stripping threads,

Many thanks,

Paul.

There are no set rules - it's down to personal preference.

You can raise one side and lower the other, tilt them to emphasise one string more than the other, or anything you like.

If you raise them too high the string might hit or the string vibration might be dampened by the magnetic field causing overtones ("wolfnotes") but otherwise you can do what you like.

It's often necessary to raise a pickup on one side (or lower the other) to balance the string outputs.

Make sure you use a good-fitting screwdriver or you'll burr the screw heads.

Raising the pick ups will increase the volume by a certain amount if thats what your mainly looking to do, but also as you've lsited it is a personal preference, some of us have the pick ups just under the strings so they act as a rudimentary ramp or some prefer to have them further down, both for comfort and tone wise as well.

Really Paul man its just a case of raising the pick ups and seeing if it eliminates your problems and if its comfortable.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='dlloyd' post='2532' date='May 19 2007, 11:00 PM']There's some guidelines in Fender's setup pages. They are just guidelines and you should experiment from these specs. Optimum pickup height, like all setup details, will vary from bass to bass, player to player.
Yep, I still have my first electric guitar, with its butter-knife adjusted pickup screws :)[/quote]

Cheers! I'm just being lazy - I should have found that.

Thanks again,

Paul.