Why become a member? ×

Gut and Steel adventures. Evahs and Perpetuals.

PaulKing

Here is a thing, for anyone who's interested.

Over the years I've become a gut purist. I've played nothing but gut G D, and various gut-like combinations on E and A for like, a decade. No mistake I love the tone, and I play lots of Willie Dixon / Larry Taylor (RIP) slappin blues. Even when not slapping, I've got a big plucking bouncing arm waving style that relies on yanking those strings to buggery with my whole arm. But truth be told, I often disappear in the live mix a bit. And I really never record... so pains me to acknowledge I'm probably not getting the best out of those strings, and my prefernce is largely based on principle. So, the other day, in a moment of madness, and in preparation for a BB King Live at the Regal type project, I decided to throw caution to the wind and sling some Spiro weichs on my back-up bass (B+H). I thought I should go for a more modern jazzy sound for a change. After a couple weeks they're just bedding in nicely now.

And despite my bias, I'm really digging the novelty of having clarity and growl (acoustic at least). So I'm going to take the bass out for a blues gig this weekend, see how the spiros cut it live and amped.

I know they're often accused of disappearing in the mix. And I worry I'll miss that big thump. But maybe I can dial that in with EQ anyway. And I can only imagine they'll cut through more than my trusty Lenzner/Lambert/EP Slap combo. And maybe, as much as it pains me to say, maybe I will actually like it, even in a blues / RnB setting? Hell, I might even get away with a little slapping here and there, if I can tame the clank? I'll let you know.

It doesnt end there though. I listened to some clips of EP Weich, and the new Pirastro Perpetuals. And I imagined how they might sound on my vintage plys, Kay and Mortone. Plus, I played a Mortone wearing Innovation Honeys the other day - nice. So I bought a couple of test strings (Perpetual E and EPW A). Considered Velvets for a moment, but I think I'll go all the way.  

So here I go. OMG am I about to forgo my purist pretensions, and cross over to the bright side? If it means my pianist can actually hear what I'm playing, and I can still get something approaching a nice warm thump, and I dont sound like a car crash with the odd slap ... it makes sense right? Or will realise the madness and go back to guts? Place your bets...

Love a bit of string GAS every few years. It's all worth it for the novelty alone. And I'm actually really excited to hear another side to my beloved Mortone and Kay...

Carry on.

• Like 2

Underwood, Line6 G30 Relay, Fishman Plat Pro Bass mk2, Markbass CMD121P + extension cab 121H

Nothing ground breaking there.

The Line 6 squeezes a bit of sub out, but that gets EQd out anyway.

It also balances signal, so I dont REALLY need the Fishman. Basically use it as EQ / phase / tuner / HPF unit.

I'm increasingly convinced the Fishman DOES colour the sound too - certainly cuts the signal a bit. Hotter if I go direct into amp ... but I like its features.

• 2 weeks later...

Evahs

I enjoyed the Perpetual E, a very scooped airy sound, soft. Would be interesting to try amped to see how it cuts through. Otherwise very spiro like.

But plumped for Evahs and got a set.

EP weichs surprised me. I’ve actually paired EAD with gut G and the set is beautifully balanced, matched, and I’m very happy with the click for moderate slapping. They have great thump, so I’m not going to feel I’m missing out too much, but they have all the articulation and punch through of steels. 

For the 50s RnB Soul Blues Ska Jazz mix I’m playing mostly now I reckon they’re going to give me all I need.

Trying out in anger Thu night, full band gig. See how they cut through.

I tried Spiros live, and sure they cut through amazingly, but sounded a bit thin and modern to me. They’re great fun to listen to though ... completely new character to my bass! They will work with he BB King ‘Regal’ set I’m going to play.