Why become a member? ×

TV Jones Thundertrons

Anyone used these? i belive they are used in Gretch Basses , i was drawn to them by the Eric wilson connection ( he used a Koll bass fitted with them apparently) as i love his tone in sublime. Just thought i would look at other alternatives before i order a darkstar for my incoming ASB 140. It will be used in a hollow body bass for ska punk, dub and a little classic rock. any thoughts?

[quote name='steve-norris' post='359829' date='Dec 20 2008, 07:43 PM']Anyone used these? i belive they are used in Gretch Basses , i was drawn to them by the Eric wilson connection ( he used a Koll bass fitted with them apparently) as i love his tone in sublime. Just thought i would look at other alternatives before i order a darkstar for my incoming ASB 140. It will be used in a hollow body bass for ska punk, dub and a little classic rock. any thoughts?[/quote]

IIRC, I heard the Thundertrons in a hollow Dean Stylist bass a couple of years ago and they sounded very good although I don't recall now exactly how they sounded. However, I think - although not with certainty - that the Thundertron has a smaller profile than the gap you going to have when you take the pickup out of the ASB140. So I guess you'd need some kind of surround if that's correct.

Cheaper than a Dark Star but I think I would probably stick with the Dark Star idea.