Why become a member? ×

Too Many Notes

wombatboter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I downloaded the album before I went abroad. I had a good listen to it while I was away. Just got back so haven't had a chance to post about it before now.

I think it sounds great! Good riffs, good grooves and good bass playing!

The only criticism I'd have of it is that on each song it's too clear who your direct influence was: on a few songs it sounds like Jaco, on a few other songs it sounds like Stanley Clarke and on a few others it sounds like Marcus Miller. I'd like to know what YOU sound like.

[quote name='The Funk' post='370664' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:00 AM']Hi! I downloaded the album before I went abroad. I had a good listen to it while I was away. Just got back so haven't had a chance to post about it before now.

I think it sounds great! Good riffs, good grooves and good bass playing!

The only criticism I'd have of it is that on each song it's too clear who your direct influence was: on a few songs it sounds like Jaco, on a few other songs it sounds like Stanley Clarke and on a few others it sounds like Marcus Miller. I'd like to know what YOU sound like.[/quote]

Thanks for the response and you are absolutely right : I find it hard after all these years of playing to find my own personal thing. I can't hide my influences and although I know that I can play the bass it would be great to have a style of my own. That's the greatest gift for a musician.
Again, thanks for your post, I deleted the link because I was a bit disappointed because no one reacted but this made it worthwhile !

The only advice I can give you about finding your own style is to find your own tone/sound first and then mix up all your Jaco/Stanley/Marcus influences until they start to sound like one person.

A lot of the similarity to your influences was not just with the notes but also with the sound of the bass/amp/effects.

You should put the link back up there. It might take a while to get responses but any feedback is good for a musician.

Ok... I put the link back in the first post..
I was just a bit disappointed. I placed in on another bass-related forum in Holland and I had 120 downloads within a couple of days and a lot of reactions (with criticism I could do something with..)
I posted here on the British bass-forum which is supposed to be huge with hundreds of bass-players and I got one reaction.. I hope it's not a continental grudge :-)

Hi Geert

I've just downloaded the album, and enjoying it, if anything, other than Jaco I can hear an Alain Caron influence, which is not a bad thing.

We'd all like `our own voice' but that is easier said that done and I'd like to congratulate you on the Album as it does show your bass playing talents and diverse influences.

Cheers

Charla

[quote name='wombatboter' post='374338' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:26 PM']Ok... I put the link back in the first post..
I was just a bit disappointed. I placed in on another bass-related forum in Holland and I had 120 downloads within a couple of days and a lot of reactions (with criticism I could do something with..)
I posted here on the British bass-forum which is supposed to be huge with hundreds of bass-players and I got one reaction.. I hope it's not a continental grudge :-)[/quote]

Hah, no. It's not a continental grudge. It's just that most people on these forums spend their time either in the For Sale discussions or arguing in Off-topic. Most of the other discussions in Recording don't have many replies so don't take it personally!

The other difference is that the British don't like to criticise other people - even if they hate what you do!

[quote name='Charla' post='375452' date='Jan 9 2009, 05:43 PM']We'd all like `our own voice' but that is easier said that done[/quote]

I don't know about that. I think someone with as much talent and dedication to the bass as wombat should be able to come up with his own voice fairly easily.

Just stop listening to the influences for a while and come up with your own tone and licks. It'll happen after a while. Or if you can't wait that long, take Jaco's licks, with Marcus' tone and with Stanley's technique. Then swap it all round.

Wombat can clearly play his arse off so by the time the next album is ready, he should have people on internet forums asking him how he came up with his style/technique/sound/licks.

Still, I really enjoyed ALL of the playing on the record and was very impressed by it.