I have seen a lot of posts lately with bassist asking for help getting into playing jazz. 

So I have made this lesson to give you a load of advice on just this. I talk about standards (jazz songs) to listen to, what II-V-I’s and turnarounds are, and how to start approaching walking on them. I ask point you in the direction of some good resources for jazz beginners. 

Please give me your feedback under the video as I am aiming to do some follow-up lessons and would like to know what particular areas of jazz you would like to work on. Also please like and share. 

I hope you find this useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Discovering Ur channel just now thanks to this post! Thanks a lot! Gonna binge watch those!!! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, hope you have fun with the videos. Let me know if you need any help. Greg 

• Like 1

i've watched six or seven videos so far, keeping Ur channel in my "favorites" bar in my browser for further learning ;°)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By greghagger
      Learn how to use the Nashville Number System. It’s a great way to write and communicate chord sequences, making transposing easier too. 
      I explain all about this system and how to understand the way major and relative minor keys are related. 
      Full video over at Greg’s Bass Shed on YouTube, or on my website. 

https://gregsbassshed.com/videos

• By greghagger
      Here is a 12-Bar Blues Backing Track in A - minus Bass. 
      It’s has a medium swing tempo, so perfect for you to practice your walking bass lines to. 
      I have played my own walking line for a few chorus to give you an idea of what to play.  You can download the PDF (with Tab) of my bass line, plus the 12-Bar chord sequence, by clicking the link in the video description. 
      Let me know how you get on,  or if you would like more backing tracks in different keys or styles. 

• By greghagger
      ‘Learn Ten Amazing Bass Lines’ - new video from Greg’s Bass Shed. 
      These are all funky classics from a similar era, that I have regularly played over the last 25 years. There is some Stevie, Michael Jackson, James Brown, Chic, and more.  
      This is the first in a series of video, so let me know your favourite era, or style and I will include those in future videos. 
      You can download a free PDF (also with Tab if you need it), by clicking the link in the video description. 
      I’d love to hear how you get on.
    • By greghagger
      I’m currently planning an ebook to help beginner bass players. I’ll list the main topics I am thinking of covering. What do you think? Anything else obvious I have missed? Any contributions welcome. Thanks in advance. 
      Here is the list :
      String names and tuning 
      Left hand technique 
      Right hand technique 
      Starting To Read Music
      Handy scales and arpeggios
      Brief intro to different styles
      Beginner basses and amps

Greg’s Bass Shed