Why become a member? ×

Modulation LED on pedal going weird when using a PSU?

Hi guys

I've got a Boss CH-1 that's had the Blinking Rate LED mod done to it which basically blinks in sync with the chorus rate.

The mod works perfectly fine when using a 9V battery and blinks in perfect synchronicity but when using a 9v PSU (both a standalone and an MXR DC Brick) the LED blinks very subtly and very erratically. Any help as to why the LED is doing that would be greatly appreciated! This pedal is going on my Peter Steele/Type O-Negative mini-board along side a DS-1 and DD-7 (Peter used a DD-3 but I want the tap feature) so it'd be cool to have the pulsing lights (Might even change them all to bright green LEDs haha!)

Just to bring you up to speed with how the mod is done, it really is as simple as 1 wire and an LED. The only thing I've done different to this is that I've added an extra LED for the rate mod and left the original status LED in place. I'm hoping it's not that that's causing it to behave weirdly when using a PSU but as seen in the linked video, the person has his pedal being powered by a PSU and not a battery... I know it's only an aesthetic thing (it doesn't alter the tone in any way at all) but I like the blinking rate indicator. It's also handy for syncing with a BPM!

http://griffineffects.com/files/freemods/bossch1free.php

image.png.0bcac66ce7098c1d190b22663f642886.png