Why become a member? ×

Fender PJ FSR - bridge pickup swap.

Bigguy2017

The bridge (Jazz) pickup (Fender noiseless) on my MIM Precision Special Deluxe FSR bass has a low weedy output.

I generally use the P pickup which is very good - almost on a par with my MIA 2017 P Bass so I've not bothered too much.

Finally decided to see if the bridge pickup could be made usable... tried height adjustment and still no good, so... decided on a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz DP148BK replacement.

Swapped it out this morning, (no need to remove the strings, just slacken them and work the scratchplate out).

Results are good - level is now the same from both pickups. J PUP on its  own is kind of honky, as expected so near the bridge, but blends well with the P PUP.

One weird thing was the PUP phase - using DiMarzio's wiring (red hot, green ground, black + white commoned) sounded very out-of-phase but reversed sounded perfect. 

I had to open the PUP's mounting holes to 3.5mm to get the PUP to sit level - the screws were put in a bit squint at the factory.

23705861_GTPJFSR2019-02-0201_resize.thumb.jpg.70e41b9359f16c254ada15280a10107a.jpg Original Fender noiseless pickup

685372304_GTPJFSR2019-02-0208_resize.thumb.jpg.d2b5c11387199ce69755fd86e0551f2d.jpg DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickup

1862485787_FenderPJwiringLAYOUT01A.thumb.png.66d0baa2c9e466de73d6fa02d94bae6b.png wiring as found - swapped Red + Green for correct phase

I'd recommend this swap for anyone looking for more output from a PJ's bridge pickup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1